Last week the rancher lady that Sam works for sent home some feed sacks and a bag that someone had sewed from a feedsack, for a pattern.
She wanted the girls to sew her a few more, and she would pay them.
The bag was so cute, but first we had to look carefully and figure out how it was made.
First we turned the pattern bag inside out (above) to see how it was made.
Then, below, we cut a feedsack back to size and sewed the bottom seam.
Then we flattened the corners and sewed across the corner a couple inches down.
Then we hemmed the top.
Then we cut strips from what was left of the feed sack and folded them over onto themselves and sewed down the middle to make straps, and sewed the straps onto the top of the bag.
And here was Rose's end result. We were so proud of it!
Well, then Timmy wanted to learn to sew the bags, too, especially if would make him some money! So I helped him. And I don't know why this photo won't go to the middle. It was the first time he had used the sewing machine.
That feedsack creation gave me the idea for this one, which I helped Rose with--
a baby apron for our pastor's granddaughter, since everyone was invited to her first birthday.
We weren't able to go, but we made this for a gift from a rabbit food feedsack!
We made a bow out of strips from the feedsack, and Rose found this little brown bunny button to sew on at the corner.
All at the same time, my nephew Peter Barth (my older sister Dorcas's oldest boy) was getting married.
The wedding was in Michigan, and I would have so loved to be there, as at least six of my siblings and most of their families were there.
Carrie had sewed and knitted kitchen sets which she had hoped to sell, but hasn't been able yet, and so I purchased a set from her for a wedding gift, with Peter's wife Lonni's wedding and kitchen colors (dark red and yellow)
for her kitchen. Carrie uses any money from the kitchen sets for violin lessons.
I mentioned Sam working for a rancher nearby. They raise champion longhorns. Here I'm dropping him and the girls off one day.
Sam getting a pile of feed at Big R.
I'm so thankful for our strong boy.
I pray that he will continue to be a wonderful young man as he already is. I can't be thankful enough for his good attitudes (except for grammar in school) and his obedient and helpful spirit.
Last week our neighbor called, as he had gotten in a big load of alfalfa hay, and so Jonathan took the children over for a load of it for our goats for the winter.
Riding the hay on the way home.
Little rancher boy--and he can't bear to get rid of these pants.
They are so comfortable he tells me, and my sympathies get the better of me, so I let him keep wearing them.
Don't we all have our comfortable clothes that are shamefully ragged--because we like them!
The girls keep picking carrots and tomatoes and beets.
And someone needed a recent photo of Jonathan and me, so since our last photo was a year and a half old, we took another.
No comments:
Post a Comment