Monday, December 28, 2015

Short, Sweet, and Charming Home Wedding--Uncle George and Irina

A week ago, we met Uncle George's sweetheart Irina from Russia, when we spent Christmas Sunday afternoon with Jonathan's folks and family. 
"Are you coming to the wedding?" Uncle George asked me.
"Are you inviting us?" I laughed, because after all you don't go to weddings you aren't invited to!
We knew it was going to be a very small home wedding, and we didn't have any idea what to expect!
Well, that evening after bringing them to our church candlelight service and then to see the Many Lights of Christmas at the Nazarene Bible College after service,  Jonathan told Uncle George and Irina that he and I would come to the wedding. 
Uncle George had first gotten acquainted with Irina clear back in 2012, and had traveled over to St. Petersburg a couple of times, including earlier this year. But it was only recently that she was able to get a visa to come to America.
It was a very small, simple wedding in Uncle George's home.
A friend of Irina's from California, along with the friend's daughter and son-in-law, had arrived a couple days earlier and helped to find flowers and decorate the living area for the wedding.
I thought they had done an outstanding job of transforming the elderly widower's little space into a wedding celebration. 
There were several vases of flowers on top of furniture and counter, that Irina herself had arranged, since she had studied flower arrangement. 
This beautiful cake, which the friends had ordered from Whole Foods, was on the table, surrounded by a silver wrap and several candles. 
Jonathan's mother had made a plate of darling little bell candies, five of which Amelia promptly set on the cake.
Everyone was more than a bit nervous except Amelia, Irina's friend's daughter. 
Her take-charge, positive, cheery ways saved the day. 
Jonathan's dad got the last-minute job of being best man--and Amelia wouldn't have him to wear his blue tie! Off she hustled him to fit him with a bright red tie!
After which he reminded her that wasn't he supposed to have a boutonniere?
Yes, he was, but none had been prepared!
So, Amelia-fashion, she whisked a red rose out of one of the vases, trimmed the stem, snipped a bit of baby's breath and, minus a pin, stuck it in his pocket, which his suit coat thankfully had!
And there he was, all ready to do the duty of best man!
Just before the officiating lady arrived, Amelia and we got busy lighting the candles on the table.
Amelia found a little box of matches--in which was one little match!
"Imagine it being the last match!" she gasped, striking it and protecting the tiny flame with her hand. 
We managed to light the other candles from one match and another candle. 
There was a good bit of laughter, banter, and last-minute making do.
Above, the marriage official and her husband have arrived, and she is taking her place for the little ceremony.
Nobody knew what to do except Amelia--self-made wedding coordinator rising to the occasion!
She told everyone what to do and made everyone laugh and feel as comfortable as possible!
Here she is standing waiting to snap photos of the procession across the livingroom. 
First comes best man with matron of honor on his arm. 
(Bride is hidden back in the bedroom.)
Amelia told them where to stand.
Next, she brought the groom, Uncle George "down the aisle."
Then Amelia turned on the wedding march on the stereo and here came the bride!
This beautiful scene was priceless--sweet and beautiful Irina coming out on the arm of her friend's son-in-law.
Irina is such a lady!
Although in her 60's, I believe, she is graceful and gracious, sweet and trim. 
She walked the little ways, tipping her head to the guests
and whispering her thanks to us and the others for coming. 
I loved the charming little head piece. It was perfect for such a wedding instead of a youthful veil.
Amelia showed her where to stand, and Uncle George was gasping, "Whew!"
at the beautiful lady standing in front of him. 
"In poverty or in wealth, in sickness or in health, in failure or in triumph...
if you make these promises to each other, please say together, 'I do," said the wedding officiator.
And they said together, "I do."
Then there was the ring ceremony.
"I pronounce them husband and wife," said the officiator.
And the kiss.
"Now congratulate them!" sings Amelia, busy with her husband taking pictures!
So we clap and cheer and get started.
I wish Irina the best--and I do so hope to reach out more to her in the days ahead.
I have a special place in my heart for the dear people of Russia. 
And I do so hope and pray that she will be happy.
A next door neighbor and wife, very nice people, were also present. Here the man is congratulating Uncle George.
 
And Jonathan takes his turn.
The signing of the marriage license.
Jonathan's father signing as a witness--something he probably wasn't expecting to do very much ahead of time.
Cutting the cake to feed each other.
Laughing a lot and serving each other cake!
"It's the best wedding cake I have ever eaten!" I said, after tasting this amazing, fruit-filled cake.
"That's because it isn't a wedding cake!" Amelia laughed.
It was "just a cake." I think the frosting must have been whipped cream or something instead of shortening and powdered sugar. It wasn't too sweet, and almost everyone noted how good it was.
Amelia set on a carton of luscious blackberries, blueberries and strawberries, some of the biggest I've ever seen.
We got a picture with the bride and groom and Jonathan's mother and father. 
I couldn't believe that the outfit I had chosen to wear actually matched the wedding!
Here is the group that was present, except for the wedding officiator who had already left
and Amelia's husband who took the picture.
We got such a kick out of Grandpa being unable to get this tie off because it had a new-fangled zipper. 
Thankfully Jonathan had recently tried out a tie with a zipper, and had some idea how to deal with it.
And I learned a new Russian word for zipper--molnya.
Irina had arranged her own wedding bouquet of tiny white roses. 
It was beautiful. 
Amelia said how they had agonized over calling one flower shop after another--all were either closed after Christmas or had no flowers. 
They were finally able to get all these, if I understood correctly, from King Soopers. 
The little ceremony had taken only about 15 minutes, and the bit of celebration afterward was over in another 45. 
So we took this final photo, under the paper pompoms hanging from the ceiling,
of the new husband and wife--
Uncle George and our new Aunt Irina!
Congratulations and best wishes!
It was such a delight to have Irina want to come back to our church the next day, with Uncle George and her friends!
We have a few more pictures of the that group in front of the church, but I will go ahead and post this much right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Keeps Making Our Fawn a Blessing

A day or two ago, I got a call from our pastor's wife who thought I'd like to know that our fawn is bringing joy not just to us and ...