Saturday, March 5, 2016

Dear God, I'm No Double-Yoker Egg-Laying Hen

"Those who compare themselves among themselves are not wise," 
says the good book.
And so it's easy for a pretty ordinary mom to compare herself to other moms who, for example, can get along on five or six hours sleep at night,
 home school ten kids, grind their own flour, grow their own gardens, can 3000 quarts of fruits and vegetables a year, have a music ministry, travel to exotic places, write umpteen books,
and run family businesses--all at the same time
while your're proud if your kids raise a few bunnies to sell,
 and keep struggling along with piano lessons,
train puppies,
and actually start learning to pick up behind themselves.
Others write books that actually get published, 
and you stumble around on a little blog because
you're no double-yoker egg-laying hen!

I cannot do everything that needs to be done anymore than Elijah couldn't.
I can't save all the people who need saved.
I can't answer everyone's questions or get them to ask better ones that I could answer.
Maybe I'm not even a common, ordinary hen anymore--
or yet. 
Maybe your contribution to the morning breakfast is an egg so tiny it gets showed all around to the 
rest of the gang.
"Look how small this egg is!"
But just be patient.
In time, your contribution will add up. 
It might just be a little bit a day, here a little, there a little,
precept upon precept, line upon line. 
Your contribution to breakfast,
or home,
or church,
or school,
or the mission field, 
or the charity or the volunteer work
will add up and count someday.
 Your little bitty egg is still an egg.
Your little bitty contribution is still a contribution. 
And He who multiplied the five loaves and two fishes
loves to be given the little that we have.
He's the One that grows it and multiplies it. 
It's up to Him to make something wonderful out of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...