We moms have lots of decisions to make on a daily basis--
and tomorrow we must make a big decision--
a Presidential-size decision.
Which President do I want my kids to have for the next four years?
I'd been planning all along to vote for Trump (while holding my nose) till I read someone's arguments against the arguments I've heard all my life, that a vote for a third party candidate was a vote for Clinton.
They said it was not a vote for Clinton but for that third party candidate. It called the argument intimidating.
I could see their point, and then I got worried that I was doing wrong to vote for Trump.
So I have been praying and thinking--after facing the temptation to not vote at all for president because I'm afraid my vote wouldn't be pleasing to God...or that I would have to face the consequences of my decision.
Who wants to say I voted for Trump when Trump starts to do dumb, cowardly, or wrong things?
But it seems to me that the question really boils down to our need to make a choice,
not a great choice, but the best choice we can make.
For is choosing not to make a choice really being responsible?
Shifting responsibility is becoming more and more in fashion--
because then we can stand back and blame others while patting ourselves on the back that we aren't responsible.
"You know, God, I didn't go vote at all because I was afraid, so this is all the fault of those dumb people who thought he was the only choice they had..."
Oh really?
I watched a situation play out just recently, where responsibility was shifted
and in the end, the responsibility shifters had to face the consequences of their
irresponsibility just as surely as they would have faced the consequences
of their taking responsibility--right or wrong.
God says He would seriously rather we be cold or hot,
rather than lukewarm.
He would rather we be cold, rather than lukewarm.
So I felt clear to man up (or woman up) and take responsibility tomorrow to make the best choice I can make of the two choices we have that have a chance to win.
My vote means I made the better choice in a choice of two,
but my trust and confidence is in God, Who will surely show mercy and help to this helpless mother of seven
whose only hope is in Him.
But with Him is abundant mercy, help, and hope, regardless the outcome of this election.
Here is the article my nephew copied and sent me:
"With the choice of presidential candidates before us tomorrow, neither of which are leaders I would have chosen to be an authority over me, I am perplexed with the question of what to do.
Trump has led a life of immorality, is disrespectful in his language, is pridefully self confident, and lacks the experience and integrity essential for the position of president of the United States. On the other hand, Clinton, an avowed supporter of murder and sodomy, promises to promote the very things that Scripture clearly condemns; she would be an absolute catastrophe for America, to say the least.
If my vote were to mean that I endorse, support, condone, put confidence in, or sign my name by either one of these candidates and their past, present or future actions, there is no way my conscience would allow me to vote for either.
But is that what it means to vote?
Of course, I do have the option to not vote at all, or to vote for a third party candidate. But to not vote would be to mock my God-given privilege and responsibility as a United States citizen to engage on a surface level in the spiritual warfare that rages in this country. And to vote for a third-party candidate when there is no real third-party to choose from, is, well, doing the exact same thing. Of course, if I had unreservedly invested time, resources and energy in joint effort with millions of others to bring to the ticket a third-party candidate that we could enthusiastically and corporately vote for, then, well, I would be very happy to vote for a third party.
But short of a miracle, the reality of this election leaves us with only two options. And thus the perplexity. Do I really have to vote for the better of two evils again?
And so, if nothing else, this election has helped me to understand more clearly than ever before what it actually means to vote. A vote is a formal indication of someone’s choice. To vote is to simply choose between the options that God has sovereignly placed before me.
My vote is not putting confidence in someone. “It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in princes” Psalm 118:8-9. My confidence is in God! If voting meant putting confidence in an early individual for future security and prosperity, than there would be only one candidate for whom I could vote: Jesus Christ himself. If by voting I find desiring from man what only God can provide, I must beware.
My vote is not signing my name to an agreement, or declaring an affiliation with a candidate. Just because I vote for someone doesn’t mean I agree with them. If this were true, then there would be no one on earth I could vote for, regardless of how conservative or Scripturally accurate they may be.
My vote is not an endorsement or token of support for a person or for what they stand for. “For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God” Romans 13:1b. I want only to support what God supports, so I will use my better judgment to choose which of the two evils would better facilitate the support of God’s ways in every-day life.
So let us remember, as we participate in this critical day of our nation’s history, that our vote is simply a wise and solemn choice between the options that God has sovereignly placed before us. God will use the one He elects however He chooses. “Blessed be the name of God for ever and ever: for wisdom and might are his: and he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding.”
The author of the above article said that " here are two resources that have strongly influenced my decision to vote for Trump despite my reluctance and complete lack of support for him: Prayer and Soul-Search by Joel Rosenberg, and the Decision of Senator Ted Cruz. Let us not look to Trump as a savior, but pray rather that God would use him as a tool to bring God’s people back into right relationship with Him."
And here is the link to the above article.
http://lenspiration.com/2016/
**********
Also, my brother Elon wrote us the following a couple days ago which I asked permission to post on my blog. He said:
"I'm having some inspirations, which may or may not be completely perfect and accurate, but here goes:
WHY EVERY CHRISTIAN SHOULD VOTE (in this election).
Back when I was young, Smokey Bear appeared all the time on signs and billboards, speaking out for forest-fire prevention. He said stuff like, "Only YOU can prevent forest fires," or, "If not you- WHO?" Isn't that one of those sort of "goes-without-saying" sayings? But it seems to me that the principle applies to a lot of other things.
Like elections. I have a premise. And I think it makes sense. IF ONLY WICKED PEOPLE VOTE, THEN ONLY WICKED PEOPLE WILL BE ELECTED. If only unrighteous or non-Christian people vote, then how will righteous or God-fearing people be elected? Well, maybe we don't WANT God-fearing people to be elected. Hey, just let the world and the nation run it's course, it needs no help from us. After all, we have another Kingdom we're supposed to be looking out for.
Just look around at all the notions out there.... Some people are too "spiritual" to vote. Some are too lazy. Some are simply unheeding and careless. Some are in a class that I understand, but disrespect: Since both major party presidential candidates are so flawed and awful, I can't conscientiously vote for either of them. I think we all need a little schooling on what it means to be a Christian and an American.
"We are not here to play, to dream, to drift," wrote one insightful poet (Maltbie Babcock, who also wrote "This is My Father's World"). "We have hard work to do, and loads to lift." History lessons prove him correct. About 800 years ago there was a despotic tyrant.. . His people got so fed up with his obliviousness to real human need, that they revolted, and his knights and nobles forced him to sign a document known as the Magna Carta, which limited his power and gave the people certain inalienable rights. It was the first time that a major nation-state began to be governed by principles of balanced government-- restricting the power OF the ruler/s, and giving the people a voice and hand in making just laws, and granting them the simple rights and privileges that they should rightfully have.
The principles and ideas embodied in the Magna Carta were the basis for our own U.S. Constitution. But a long time before persecuted and aggravated men sat down and hammered out our Constitution, there was a little group of Separatists or Puritans, more commonly known as the Pilgrims, who escaped the tyranny of Europe, sailed to a new world where they could serve God in peace and godly fear-- and mistakenly ended up in Massachussets Bay. The first thing they did was bow down and thank the Lord of Heaven and Earth for a safe passage. Secondly, they sat down and wrote up a contract, or Compact, -- a sort of constitution, the guidelines of which they were to live by. And next-- they VOTED. That's right, they needed a leader and so they ELECTED John Carver as their governor. It was by popular vote. A less commonly known fact is that there were a good many people on board ship who were NOT Puritans or Pilgrims. In fact, the Pilgrims called these other folks "Strangers." But guess what? Those "strangers" who wanted to be a part of the Plymouth settlement were required to put their signature to the Compact, and also were given opportunity to help elect a governor.
So my question is this: What if the Pilgrims had been so "Kingdom" oriented, that they had left if up to the "Strangers" to do all the voting and electing and choosing of a Governor? Huh? Do you think they would have gotten the godly William Bradford in their second election? Nope, most assuredly, if ONLY those poor godless Strangers had been permitted to do the electing, Plymouth would have been ruled by a Stranger. The Pilgrims were wise enough not to let that happen.
How can we dare to be any LESS wise? I know there is a lot of STRONG SENTIMENT and powerful feelings that accompany this particular election. Some are being overly hyperbolic and asserting that this could be the end of America as we know it, etc. (We said the same thing about the last several elections, and yes, the America we once knew is disappearing). But let's say the choice is more stark this time, and the results more potentially disastrous. Do we who value religious liberty (and other worthy liberties) dare stand on the sidelines and let the Strangers make the decisions for us?? The Scripture teaches us exactly the opposite. If we truly "Love our neighbor as ourself," will we stand by and let our neighbor be dragged into bondage, fear, and grief, if we can do something about it? Or at least TRY to do something? If we believe that Jesus really meant "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you;" --Would you want others to choose wise and righteous rulers when they have opportunity? Then shouldn't we do the same for them?
With every privilege comes an equal responsibility. We find it helpful and a really, really big blessing to live in the "land of the free and the home of the brave" (which incidentally is a privilege that most of earth's peoples have never, ever enjoyed)--and yet we think we can responsibly just "sit out the election" and let the "other guy" do the choosing?? Shame, shame on us! If you can't get yourself to vote for some major candidate even WITH a clothespin tightly restricting your nasal passages--then get busy and find out who is or might be worthy in your local government, and VOTE for them! Vote for you State Senator or National Representative to Congress. Folks, let's get our head screwed on straight! It's not Presidents who put justices on the Supreme Court! They only nominate somebody. It's the U.S. Senate who confirms and places them on the court. So get out and vote for a Senatorial candidate who values truth, justice, and LIBERTY! If you can't find one, then vote for the next best! Stand up and have a voice!
I may not be called to have an actual position in government. But the God of Truth and Love has placed me in a Land where I may have a say by way of a REPRESENTATIVE GOVERNMENT. I have the privilege of voting for another person who will represent my views, principles, and values. And so do you. If I decide to take advantage of all the benefits and freedoms of this great country, but refuse to help with the responsibility of governing, then I can't honestly get down on my knees and pray that I may "lead a quiet and peaceable life" (1 Tim. 2:2) So help us God!!
And by the way, I'm not voting for Mr. D. Trump. I'm voting for Mike Pence!
No comments:
Post a Comment