Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Does God Care About How Our Name is Spelled on a Christmas Card?

So this Christmas Sunday after church, we went to Jonathan's parents' home for Christmas dinner.
But before that, we took a ride through Garden of the Gods park to enjoy the beautiful snow in this beautiful place that was practically the back yard to the home where Jonathan grew up.
Jonathan's mom always has her home decorated so picture-perfect beautifully.
They just had two little trees this year. This one had ornaments handpainted by Jonathan's sister Barbara, who is a lovely artist. 

Sunday in church, just after we sat down, I noticed a new lady in front of us. She has come a few times recently, from just down the street.
I had brought extra Christmas cards along just in case I had missed someone in our church, and when I saw her, I decided to give her a card. 
So I quickly wrote a note in my card, addressing it to "our new friend," and wrote her name on the front, "Rebecca."
Then I leaned up and handed the card to her and whispered, "I didn't know if your name was spelled with a c or a k."
She said, "A c,"  and looked at my card with her name spelled correctly.
I thought no more about it till Jonathan nudged me.
"She's crying," he whispered.
I looked, and sure enough, the lady was wiping tears.
"Did she read the card?" I whispered to Jonathan.
"No," he said.
I watched as more tears came to the lady's eyes, and slid down her cheeks. 
She started to look back toward us, almost like she wanted to say something, 
then looked out the window, wiping tears.
Now it could be that she was crying because of how weird that lady behind her was,
or because the handwriting on the card turned her insides the wrong side out!!
I don't know. 
I just knew that God had a purpose in our choosing to sit in that particular pew that morning--
right behind this lady.
He wanted us to be His heart of care for someone who needed someone to care for her heart.
I will probably never know exactly what she was thinking, but I wonder,
did it mean something to her that God cared enough about her 
that not only did someone slip her a Christmas card, 
but the Christmas card that was handed to her was spelled in her name correctly?
Does God actually care about little things like that this Christmas season?
Wow! He really does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...