Tuesday, September 18, 2018

God Provides Indian Corn and Free Hay!

Last week our children proudly and happily harvested their crop of Indian corn.
They had grown this corn in this little garden plot Timmy had tilled up this spring, and which later they had fenced and then covered with hail screen over top--because you may as well not plant garden out here without hailscreen over it.
In among the corn, there are pumpkins, squash, green beans, and morning glories!
Beautiful sky-blue morning glories--one of my favorite flowers!
One by one, the children picked the corn, pulling the husk aside to show the variegated colors of each cob.
Not one was exactly alike!
Every one was a delightful surprise--just like the children God gives us!
Not one the same as any other--each individual special and intricate and uniquely gifted.
The whole family except for Sam who had left for work early as usual was out there enjoying the harvest.
Small though our gardens have to be, having a garden is a great chance for the children to work with nature and discover its secrets,
enjoy its harvests, and do something productive rather than sitting in front of screens or playing on phones. 
They are so, so happy as they watch their gardens grow and produce.
And here is another way God provided for us recently--free hay!
Someone didn't think their huge bale of hay was good enough for their horses, and so they advertised it free on Craig's List, and one of our children happened to see the ad. Right away Jonathan said to call, so I called. Two other people had already called about it, but neither of them wanted to load it, and the lady had no way to load the big bale whole. She said it was a little moldy and she wasn't about to feed it to her horses.
Well, I told her I had several children, and we were willing to come that very evening and load it as best we could.
I was envisioning a bale that would take an hour and a half to pull apart and load.
Jonathan hitched up a trailer, and I drove the children and myself there, and in about five minutes we had that hay loaded. It separated into "flakes," as you call it, and was very easy to carry.
"See?" the lady urged me, as she pointed at the bad hay. She wanted me to see how bad it was.
I looked at it and tried hard to see what was bad about it. I could not see anything bad, but I figured I was not good at judging horse hay and I did not by any means want to appear ignorant. :)
Most people are picky about their horse hay, but we have goats and two calves right now that can eat less than perfect hay.
At home the next morning, we dumped the hay out of the dump trailer onto a tarp, and then we all helped wheelbarrow it to the barn and barn loft. We could not find anything wrong with that hay. Nothing wrong at all. 
We just figured God must have wanted to provide free hay for us!
Isn't it delightful how God takes care of us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...