A few weeks ago as Jonathan and I were heading to the mountains where the rest of the family was elk hunting, we decided to stop along the way at this oldest church in Colorado.
On the phone as we were driving two vehicles and making plans to stop, I told Jonathan that I would like to spend a few quiet moments there. It was Sunday afternoon and we'd spent the morning with friends.
I didn't know this oldest church was Catholic.
I
have to admit, when I saw the idols, the images, the candles there with
suggestions for donations, I really didn't want to stay
and pray.
The idols and images just didn't lend themselves to my personal idea of
worship, especially after reading for weeks about different Reformation
leaders who were martyred by Catholic church leaders of that day.
Jonathan and I told Danny and Hannah, who were with us, that thankfully nowadays here in America, Catholics and Protestants alike can worship in freedom. That is what America has been about.
Just inside the door was a sign that I liked very much.
(See, I can find something to appreciate even in a Catholic church!)
(See, I can find something to appreciate even in a Catholic church!)
Christ Himself said that His house was to be a house of prayer.
You can see a huge dark brown urn there in the center of the front of the church, for "holy water" to baptize babies, I suppose.
Just recently in our home school group, we mothers were discussing baptism and different beliefs, since one of the mothers has come out of the Catholic Church and into fundamental Bible-believing churches.
"In corporate worship," writes David Mathis of Desiring God, recently, "we gather together expectantly, reminding ourselves that God is our giving Father. This is who he is. This is what he loves. God delights in cheerful givers because he himself is one. This is what he produces in the hearts of his people. Not dutiful, reluctant, obligatory worship, but willing, eager, cheerful praise. The kind of worship that comes to him as a rewarder, not a killjoy. As a treasure, not a troll. As the great satisfier of our souls, not as a slavemaster conscripting our service."
Not a den of thieves.
Thieves that steal not just money but joy, peace, love, reverence.
Thieves that steal one's ability to worship.
Somehow I appreciate the request for respect and for prayerfulness
as well as the request for focus upon the things of the Lord
by turning off our phones and devices.
Could we learn something from this Catholic Church?
******
So there we were, quietly going up the aisle (for there is such a thing as respect even when you don't at all agree) and looking at everything.Somehow I appreciate the request for respect and for prayerfulness
as well as the request for focus upon the things of the Lord
by turning off our phones and devices.
Could we learn something from this Catholic Church?
******
You can see a huge dark brown urn there in the center of the front of the church, for "holy water" to baptize babies, I suppose.
Just recently in our home school group, we mothers were discussing baptism and different beliefs, since one of the mothers has come out of the Catholic Church and into fundamental Bible-believing churches.
"In corporate worship," writes David Mathis of Desiring God, recently, "we gather together expectantly, reminding ourselves that God is our giving Father. This is who he is. This is what he loves. God delights in cheerful givers because he himself is one. This is what he produces in the hearts of his people. Not dutiful, reluctant, obligatory worship, but willing, eager, cheerful praise. The kind of worship that comes to him as a rewarder, not a killjoy. As a treasure, not a troll. As the great satisfier of our souls, not as a slavemaster conscripting our service."
"What is the heart of corporate worship? Enjoying Jesus together."--David Mathis of Desiring God.
Not worshipping a picture or image, but truly enjoying Him in Spirit and in truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment