Thursday, October 3, 2019

Tree Grazes Buffalo--and other Lucas Tidbits

Usually it's the buffalo that does the grazing, but this time the tree grazed the buffalo. 
 A few weeks ago, Jonathan had to cut down a beetle-eaten spruce tree at a property where he is remodeling. One of the big reasons the owner had bought this property up near Broadmoor and the zoo is that there was this practically legless buffalo statue which he fell in love with.
None of us fell in love with it at all, but Jonathan had to try to lay that tall spruce down without crashing into the house, the neighbor's property, the retaining wall, or, most of all,
this precious stone buffalo. 
Just because it was promising to be an interesting day on the job with perhaps firewood to deal with afterward and branches the younger boys and I could help load after the tree was down, I took the younger boys in to watch and help.
Jonathan started sawing.
Here is the scene from the opposite side, down the long, steep driveway. The guys had attached a strap as high up on the tree as one of them dared to climb, and it was attached to Jonathan's truck at the other end. Sam was inching the truck forward bit by bit to keep the strap taut and the tree hopefully falling the right direction.
Long story short, after several hollers and pulls by the truck, the tree went crashing down, rolling a little as it fell, and it missed the buffalo by a hairsbreadth. I guess some twigs actually grazed the buffalo. Everyone watching agreed that it was just TOO close, but thankfully, the precious buffalo with hardly any legs was still intact.
Jonathan and Sam saw off branches while Timmy, Danny and I haul branches to the dump trailer.
****
"What's the purpose for geometry?" a son growls as we gather books and key and pencils and notebooks for geometry class.
What are you supposed to answer, when you don't know if they will use much of it in their whole life?
 I'm teaching two boys at once.
We're using Teaching Textbooks, and it is a great curriculum for home school. I've used Bob Jones geometry for three other students, but this one surpasses for simplicity and ease of teaching and learning. They are learning all they need to know plus some, though it does take us nearly an hour a day!
 I don't know if Timmy uses geometry or not when he builds a fence, but he did a good job with this rustic fence that looks sooo nice!


Jonathan and boys worked on this slab of wood for a kitchen bench. Not sure when it will be actually done and built, but it is a fun dream.
Timmy digging fence post holes.
Hannah helping to hang laundry.
Dragonfly (or damselfly?) I found on jeans one morning.
 
Couldn't resist this sweet scene of the baby clothes and shoes of the darlingest little baby girl ever that Carrie babysits sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...