Sunday, May 10, 2020

No Daffodils--Just Dandelions!

When your daffodils are frozen out and not one of them blooms,
you learn to be thankful for dandelions!
Back in Missouri, when I made a quick trip back a couple months ago just before the shut-down,
there were probably a hundred daffodils blooming outside my mom's window. 
Mine always bloom late, and this year they didn't bloom at all.
So I decided to be thankful for the dandelions suddenly blooming along the sidewalk.
They were bright, sunny, yellow, too.
Not the same as cultivated daffodils that hang so pretty, but bright yellow flowers blooming nevertheless.
Until my littlest daughter decided to dig up even the dandelions in the flowerbed along the sidewalk.
Now I didn't even have dandelions.
At least not there. 
But what did Habakkuk say? 
"Though the fig tree [or daffodils!] do not blossom...
yet I will rejoice in God."
Sometimes if the fig tree isn't blossoming,
and the daffodils aren't blooming,
you just have to look for something else!
Like dandelions!
I found some more around down by the southwest corner of the house.
Little wild yellow things, but blooming, and pretty, and even, 
if you are very adventuresome like my sister Iva,
edible!
She made dandelion blossom jelly!
We just made bread--minus the dandelions!
Carrie and Rose take turns making our sourdough bread.
And the center of the table ends up decorated with mint tea, cucumber salad, 
and dandelions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...