Monday, August 10, 2020

Blueberry Pies and A Mother's Value

One day week before last I was feeling a little uncertain what to do with myself in the middle of the afternoon. I thought about making blueberry pies with the berries I'd bought on sale, but pies are extra work.
Instead, I looked at Facebook. 
And somebody shared a video about an Australian newscaster standing up for a mother who had been kind of randomly picked from Facebook
who said she liked to have her house clean before going to bed at night,
and would stay up till nine or twelve o'clock to do it.
And then get up at 4:30 a.m. to make coffee for her husband before he went to work. 
Another news commentator or somebody had reviled this mother as being some sort of slave.
The Australian newscaster, who had a most delightful English accent,
had a different take.
He said, "There are actually mothers out there who LOVE to do what they are doing."
Like me, I guess. I love making my house into a home.
I love overseeing what's going on, and seeing that laundry gets done regularly, and that meals are on time, and that the husband and father gets loved and welcomed and respected and taken care of.
I love getting the dishes done and making homemade goat cheese, like this.
And right in the middle of that short video clip, I made the decision to go ahead and make blueberry pies.
Even though it takes more time than adding fresh blueberries to a bowl of canned peaches (which happens most of the time). 
I left the audio on so I could listen while I started to measure the ingredients for the crust.
The way that newscaster made that ordinary mother into a hero gave me the inspiration I needed to make my pies--just for my own family.
No, I didn't share them out with all our neighbors or take one to a sick relative.
I do that sometimes, too, because it seems like an important thing to do.
And it is.
But it's important to feed our own family, too.
It's important to make a pie every once in a while just for your own family, just to let your husband know he is pretty special.
He and his children are valuable enough to spend my time making a pie.
He stopped and got berry icecream on the way home.
And it was yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...