Saturday, October 23, 2021

When a Pennsylvania Girl Hankers for Elderberry Pie

I didn't know that my husband had never eaten elderberry pie before, but when we were back in Amish country last weekend in Ohio, I decided that one thing I'd love to have was a piece of elderberry pie! When I was growing up in Pennsylvania, we'd often have elderberry bushes where we lived, especially the one country home where lived near Grove City, PA. Every year I'd go out with a sister or two, and we'd pick enough elderberries for hopefully two pies--because one pie would never be enough for eleven people.

I didn't know if we'd find anything elderberry or not. There was this big store in Walnut Creek where we stopped, and it had pyramids of jars of jam and jellies. We hunted and hunted and finally found elderberry jelly.

It's possible, but I rather doubt it was made in an actual Amish kitchen like this one in a little museum we skimmed through quickly.
All we bought to eat for lunch that particular day was a pint of black raspberry icecream and boysenberry jam to dab on top!
Mmm!
But Monday on our way back to the Columbus airport, we had one and a half hours to spare going through Sugar Creek. And while I was shopping for greeting cards at a Gospel Shop, Jonathan peeked through a bakery across the street, and look what he found for me--even though we had to wait quite a while in line!

Someone kindly took a picture of us sharing our single slice of elderberry pie in Sugar Creek Amish country!
Mmm! I was transported back to the bushes of berries we enjoyed so much so many, many years ago. So many tiny, delightful, seedy berries in that pie!
I wondered if those elderberries were actually picked by Amish children or not. Who knows?

I just enjoyed that slice of pie, and reveled in the joy of sharing it with my dear husband at a black and white checkered table in Amish country. A little slice of heaven in a weary land. 

Lord, it was years since I'd gotten to enjoy a slice of elderberry pie. How long has it been since I've enjoyed a little slice of heaven in my quiet time with You? Do You delight me as much as elderberry pie does? Tomorrow is Your day, Lord. May I revel in the luscious taste of a bit of heaven in Your sanctuary and in Your presence!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...