As egg prices have soared, God has given us enough to share.
For some reason, the photo I took (above) at Wigwam grocery store will only come up sideways, so oh, well, as Hannah would say, who cares? You can still see the handsome price of $9.95 for just one dozen.
That's when a person is grateful if he has a few chickens.
We have enough eggs and to spare. I just boiled ten today for an upcoming trip when we leave before breakfast and take along boiled eggs and a salt shaker for breakfast. We also make French toast at times, or omelets, or scrambled eggs, or deviled eggs, or egg salad, or potato salad with lots of boiled eggs chopped into it.
And we give away dozen after dozen to very happy people.
With prices double what they were not that long ago, we make most of our food from scratch, including taco seasoning.
A stirfry we made.
I cook several pounds of beans at a time, going through them first to check for stones, then soaking overnight, cooking, and then freezing in jars or bags to be ready for taco salad, baked beans, or enchiladas or burritos.
Every once in a while Crystal makes her special Indian dishes with chicken, coconut milk, and special seasonings.
Of course, I make lunches for my two men plus an extra every day for a worker who doesn't have a vehicle. We ran out of homemade buns one day but I had bought some decent bread at Aldis in Sioux Falls that week (even a decent price). We have to constantly think ahead about lunches--unless we want our guys to have to take time off work to go buy a meal at $10 each.
So no. We make the lunches.
A couple months ago, Crystal brought us 50 pounds of spelt from Missouri, leftover from when my mom moved and no longer needed the grain. So we are blessed to have a grain that is like wheat but with lower gluten content and that I am not allergic to as I am to whole wheat.
This is not our blueberry cobbler, but it's made by our pastor's wife for last Sunday's carry-in dinner. Home-baked berry cobbler really hit the spot.
I even allowed myself a very small piece. It was so full of wholesome blueberries.
It was wonderful to enjoy such a treat!
No comments:
Post a Comment