Wednesday, September 3, 2025

To Be Honest and Truthful--and Content

 "It is still best to be honest and truthful, and to make the most of what we have."

That is the quote on a slate at the Laura Ingalls Wilder gift shop near De Smet. We need that reminder, not only from the Bible, but from real people who are living real lives.
I am still getting blog post ideas from that excursion a week and a half ago. 
I am reminded of the poem, 
The Three Gates
by Beth Day, 1835

If you are tempted to reveal
A tale to you someone has told
About another, make it pass,
Before you speak, three gates of gold;
These narrow gates. First, “Is it true?”
Then, “Is it needful?” In your mind
Give truthful answer. And the next
Is last and narrowest, “Is it kind?”
And if to reach your lips at last
It passes through these gateways three,
Then you may tell the tale, nor fear
What the result of speech may be.
Thanks, Laura Ingalls, for an extra reminder as we go about our daily lives. 
And here is a post I accidentally ran across while searching for this poem that I couldn't remember.
https://liveaquietlife.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-three-gates-plus-one.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...