Monday, August 31, 2026

Baby Moments, Black Canyons, and Safety in God

Sunday evening a week ago while we were on family vacation in Colorado, we drove to watch the sunset at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. I do not care for heights, but I do love awesome scenery, beautiful sunsets, being with family, and admiring God's majesty. 

Down in the bottom of the canyon, the water of the Gunnison River (aptly named) roared and echoed far away. I looked over the fence several times, but most of the time stayed comfortably back a little distance. Heights bother me a lot, and when I'm already weak and whoozy most of the time, heights are even worse. 

Little Ellie was having a blast walking on rocks on our side of the fence, just feet from the sheer cliff. Her mom and dad, grandparents, aunts and uncles were all watching out for her...

...just like our heavenly Father watches out for us when we teeter on the edge of a steep cliff down into a black canyon of despair or discouragement. 
He is right by our side, on this side of the fence, not that, keeping watch above His own. 
The Lord has sent us sweet grandchildren, with some of the smiliest faces, and so much more, to keep our hearts cheered and spirits refreshed during some of the most difficult days of our lives. 
 For four lovely days last weekend, we got to revel in the bliss of God's blessings of little grandchildren. 
Am I actually saying grandchildren? I remember when I could hardly believe I was getting married. Then I could hardly believe I was having my own baby.
Then I could hardly believe one or two of my children were getting married.
And now there are dear grandchildren!
Who needs TV and video games when babies are around? I loved these scenes of Grandpa Jonathan and little Ellie.
Especially this one! How little ones do look up to us!
May we not fail to take advantage of each moment to love them, teach them, read to them, carry them, enjoy them, correct them (Danny just read verses in Proverbs about correction last night), and pray for them. 
One morning, Ellie and Charlie were both in one of Tim's recliners, and everyone was gathering around to take photos. (Sam and Caitlyn do not want me posting pictures of Charlie's face on social media, so I am respecting their wishes!)
Here above, Ellie has found Tim's broom and is chasing a squealing Carrie all over the house--much to the delight of both!
Tim and Ellie at Ranch Haven
Hannah with Ellie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...