
It was great to have Aunt Iva (Anna's sister) from Pueblo West and her children here for Rosie's birthday. We managed to get them altogether with some of our children here in our front yard.

The children all love to ride up in Uncle Jon's dump trailer with Jonathan at the controls. We just heard that Uncle Jon McVey was pretty badly hurt yesterday when his truck was accidentally left in neutral and rammed him, leaving him with a broken ankle and messed up knee and toes. He'll probably be laid up for weeks. And he was supposed to fly to Ukraine with Jonathan and a Mission Helps team in late October. So I'm sure he would appreciate your prayers for a speedy recovery and to be able to make up his work.

Sammy and Kenny are supposed to be washing and rinsing dishes. Kenny takes a little break to demonstrate to Sammy part of a story. "This is how to kill a pig!"

I couldn't resist this little scene: Cousin Sarah holding hands with Danny and taking a little walk to the wishing well to pour water in it. They're both about the same age.

We spent a couple days working at painting school desks and sanding and varnishing the seats. How different they look from the ugly, scratched, brownish color they were! Why do they make school desks such ugly colors? Jonathan told us what paint cans to use, and the children and I set to work spray-painting those desks. It was a harder and longer job than I expected as I was not used to using spray paint. Paint would drip down, and I didn't know how to prevent that, or how to fix it. Trying to fix it sometimes made it worse! Oh dear! So please don't look too closely if you come visit us. Just pretend the desks were this way when we got them. At least, after doing our best and getting tips from Jonathan, we managed to get them halfway satisfactory. The children loved making those desks pretty and the seats shiny with varnish. We used three different colors for each desk, which, of course, contributed to making the task harder than we expected. But they look so cheery now. I am always thankful for the opportunity to teach my children new skills, even if it is through trial and error on my part!
No comments:
Post a Comment