Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Simplicity of Christmas

When I found this picture that the children had taken of our cat,
I immediately thought of the Christmas verse:
"The people who sat in darkness have seen a great light:
 

"...and upon those who sat in the region and shadow of death,



Light has dawned!"


The above Christmas ornament is a cutout from a Christmas card we received. I like simple, homemade ornaments. Ones with meaning.
In my family growing up, we never had a Christmas tree. My mom felt that as a girl, she worshipped the Christmas tree, and my parents, basing their feelings on the chapter in Jeremiah where it talks about cutting down a tree and decorating it and turning it into an idol, felt that they should not have a Christmas tree.
But we couldn't help liking the beauty of most of the Christmas trees we saw. And we would sometimes drive around looking at Christmas decorations.
After marrying Jonathan, I felt that he should be head of the home, and since he wanted a tree, we have had trees.
But the part I kept from my childhood was that I wanted everything about Christmas, even the tree if we had to have one, to point to Christ.



I was thinking about getting a few new decorations this year, but when I asked Jonathan about it, and he told me that he didn't have work beyond the middle of next week, I quickly decided that we did not need new decorations! Jonathan had brought home some evergreen boughs from a job where trees were being trimmed, so we cut some pieces, and the girls made these simple but charming decorations.


The pinecones in the canister are ones we gathered while on a hike a while back. I find tremendous satisfaction in simplicity--in not having to spend money in order to make a happy home.
Plus I believe it helps a husband to know his wife will do what she can to make ends meet instead of wasting money on frivolities when he is staring at being out of work within days. 

Frivolities,
when what really matters is
Jesus.
To my dismay, after taking the picture, I realized the figures were not all quite centered or arranged well...
But then I realized that the way they were crowding around gave the distinct impression
that the focus was on Jesus.
Do we too often worry about what we look like to others, when what really matters is
looking to Jesus?

Below are a couple more of the ornaments that are my favorite: one handmade by one of the children (and needing buttons glued back on--just like our clothes, always needing mending. And maybe like our hearts, too. Sometimes in need of mending.
Hanging in there.
Buttonless. (Or did you just push my button, and now it's gone!!)



Hangin' in there,
And asking God's angels to minister where there are hearts seeking for joy,
where there is brokenness or missing parts...
(This moose head came from Jonathan's sister Barbara when she was still in Alaska. The angel is one I bought just after we were married.)



Just today we had a church friend from back east, Tonya Sickler, out for lunch since she is to be moving to Kansas in a few days. We will really miss her. She has been such a blessing to us, teaching Sunday School alternately with me, and every once in a while coming out and spending time with our family or the children. Always bringing smiles and laughter and cheer and showing an interest in everything we do, and sharing good ideas to help out our worn-out brains....
and not minding a photo with the Lucas ladies!
T

We made fruit pizzas for the occasion.


I wrote it down in my "One Thousand Gifts Journal"--
# 121- "Fresh farm eggs in Christmas-colors hat."
Danny brought the eggs in like this yesterday.
Can you resist taking a picture?
Could it get more Christmasy?


One of those moments just ripe for a photo!


Sammy unwrapping a new western shirt we got him for his birthday.
Why wear a Sunday shirt when a western one will do?


Danny watches big brother do his arithmetic--by the poinsettia.


And when we can't go to interesting things, interesting things come to us!
The children came shouting that there were three gliders out there right over the fields near us!

And before I forget--
within days, after prayer and trusting the Lord,
work came gliding in for Jonathan !
Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Keeps Making Our Fawn a Blessing

A day or two ago, I got a call from our pastor's wife who thought I'd like to know that our fawn is bringing joy not just to us and ...