Monday, October 27, 2014

When We Take So Much For Granted

The next time you think all those leaves in your yard are a pain...

 try living out on the prairie for thirteen years
when most of those years are drought.
 You could always trade your leaves for dry brown grass, dirt-turned-to-concrete, tumbleweeds and your neighbor's trash blown in.
 Last week when we went to our home school meeting, I remembered
that there would be trees there, and leaves.
 And I couldn't help just snapping some photos of them every chance I got, even if they were mostly cottonwoods.
 So after some indoor educational activities, where the wee ones did a craft,
 we headed outdoors to play dodge ball and play at the pond.
And I--drank in beauty and couldn't get enough of it.
 When you can't have the reds and purples and oranges of Pennsylvania beauty,
you find that you can be content with yellow--
as long as its against the beautiful Colorado blue sky.
 And you go searching for little nooks where there is more sunlight filtering through leaves
and aspen trunks, and greenery.
 
 And while the children play, when the moms go indoors, I roam around the yard,
crunching the leaves underfoot,
looking and looking at bushes and trees that actually have leaves,
How did God know that a Pennsylvania girl was longing so much for 
trees and leaves that her heart hurt?  



Because life doesn't always hand you everything you want--
and that is when you remember that you can choose.
That when you can't have red or purple maples or orange and red oaks,
you can savor the beauty of 
a few golden aspen leaves
against a blue, blue sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...