Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sledriding, Nutcracking and Nose-Tweaking

What excitement one night last week when Daddy brought home seven sleds for the seven children!
Plans were quickly made to have a ride behind Dad's truck the next morning. 
So everyone hurried around the next morning, taking pictures of the beautiful sunrise as we got around.
It was breathtakingly, frostingly beautiful!
In due time, the six younger children had tied four toboggans in a row behind Dad's truck to go for a ride around the circle and down another little prairie lane down the way. Hannah and Danny sat on laps of older children.
Here they have come home again.
Time to roll out, and get back to school and the work for the day.
The children get kisses from Dad before he leaves, and I blow him a kiss from the front door.
After school and work is over, the little ones get out their blocks.
One Saturday night, Kenn and Iva had a double date with us. We went to a cafe where my sisters-in-law, Ruth and Julie and I had gone a few weeks ago. I'd loved it.
I ordered hot camomile and peppermint tea.
And corn chowder along with my entree.
The guys both ordered salmon.
Kenn and Iva declared that this was not a fork but a threek.
This picture is a bit blurry, but I loved the warm fireplaces here, and the country decor.
However, I like home best!
Homemade is just the best.
The girls made five homemade pizzas on a Friday night when we had a friend for supper 
whom Jonathan had asked to come and do a little welding repair for us.
He brought along a long nutcracker gismo and a bucket of pecans from his folks' tree back in Kansas. 
He says there are many pecan trees there, next in number to Georgia, I believe.
We all sat around cracking nuts and digging the meat out of the shells, thinking we might make a pecan pie.
Instead the girls decided on homemade butter pecan icecream a few days later.   
 Danny looks very excited about having homemade icecream between two chocolate chip cookies.
 We were having a bit of a crazy evening with wet coats and leggings hanging around the woodstove, and Hannah and me eating ice cold icecream while hovering near the woodstove, too!
And we decided to just have family worship around the kitchen table.
 As I said, it being a bit of a crazy evening anyway, I got my camera and sneaked pictures of what goes on in the Lucas household during prayer time which I showed the children afterward, much to our amusement.
After all, the only rule during prayer time is that you are supposed to keep your eyes closed.
 
However, "as far as everybody else knows, we are a nice normal family!"
 Anyway, we will remember family worships like this one for years to come!
It's sure a heap better than fussing at everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Haha!! Love the reverence of those tongs on the nose!! We have seen happenings like that around our home as well during family prayer. I also remember a few times growing up even, when someone or more than one would get so tickled about something (normally something silly), that the prayer turned into one howling, giggling fit of laugher including even my parents! Love your posts, BTW! Nice to know other families are like we are. Maybe we are normal after all??? LOL! Love, Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...