Monday, May 25, 2015

Holy Water

Last week was a test of our faith in more than one way.
Here Crystal is standing near Divine Redeemer Catholic church, where we attended another funeral last week. 
Sorry for all the funerals, but that is a part of our lives right now.
The lady for whom Crystal had cleaned house died suddenly of complications after falling and cracking four ribs.  
This happened within a day or two after Jonathan specifically requested prayer in Sunday School that our children could find paying work.
And then the only regular job that Crystal had suddenly disappeared!
Could we give thanks for this sudden and unequivocal "NO" to our prayers?
I guess our prayers were missing the sprinkling of this holy water found in the foyer of the Catholic church
where Crystal and I gingerly entered to attend our first taste of a Catholic mass.
Ha ha.
Don't worry. 
We are not converting to Catholicism. 
Thank you.
In the deserted side of the large church where we explored a bit after the funeral, I took a few photos.
Here is one of a sort of nursery called  "Cry Room,"
which contained a few pews and a statue of the "blessed mother Mary."
It was a small funeral in a large sanctuary, and I managed to get this photo hopefully without anyone seeing us,  from a side sanctuary window without disturbing anyone just beyond the middle of the sanctuary. 
Crystal and I sat near the back, observing. I knew that in a missions or cultural class at Bible College she will probably be attending services in Jewish and Muslim centers, so I didn't figure it would damage us to quietly observe a Catholic funeral. 
However, there were times that I felt like I was in an idols' temple!
Three young choir boys were involved in carrying a crucifix ahead of the casket, carrying an incense holder and swinging it by a chain, and holding an enormous prayer book for the presiding priest who had to hold up both hands to do the prayer and so could not hold the book on his own. 
The prayers and rituals read in a sing song voice lacked heart.
Surprisingly, there was singing of familiar songs such as "Softly and Tenderly," and "Prayer of St. Francis of Assissi."
I noticed that the hymn "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" was in their hymnal!
Over the casket, the priest sprinkled "holy water" such as is contained in these little brick basins along the wall of the sanctuary.
I could understand how people could get trapped into sensing a certain security from the rituals because they were richly sprinkled with readings from the Bible and Biblical songs and hymns. 
But the erroneous idolizing of Mary and the saints was interwoven into their religion, along with other unscriptural rituals. 
Our friend Millie was supposedly in heaven because she'd been baptized a Catholic and her good works had put her there.
Yet the emptiness was obvious. 
Millie's friend, shoulders bent and twisted with age, seemed to still be reeling with the shock of her friend's death, but was proud that Millie had "converted" to Catholicism. 
We did not say much at the time, because it did not seem appropriate to argue doctrinal issues when someone was grieving and anxious. 
We had quickly wondered to ourselves if we had been faithful in sharing the gospel with Millie, 
but Crystal had tried to do what she could. She had once given her the million dollar tract, and Millie had read it and told her it was good. 
The observing of this service gave us much to talk about back home with the family at the next breakfast table. 
About why we pray to "Our Father" instead of Our Mother, and what is the use of "holy" water,
and what it is that gets us to heaven. 
On our way home, funeral clothes and all, we stopped at a few yard sales. At one we discovered a swarm of yellow jackets drowning on the sidewalk.
Looking up, we saw this nest also aswarm with the bees.
I don't suppose this muddy stream would be considered holy water.
The boys find salamanders after the rains.

And when I brought a big potato bag in from the garage, I didn't know it contained a little mouse till it escaped the next morning.
Here everyone is lined up watching to see when the mouse will come out of its corner and hopefully be dealt with by the cat.
As I mentioned above, Crystal losing her job was a test of our faith.
Jonathan immediately said that God must have something better for her.
And later, as I was waiting on the Lord and asking Him to show us what to do, it suddenly occurred to me that perhaps God had different plans for Crystal this summer than to find a paying job. 
Crystal had wanted to go to Africa again this year, but several things had hindered and with all the uncertainty she had decided against it.
We had other plans for the summer--till they fell through.
She needed a job to earn toward Bible College, and the job she had she suddenly lost.
And suddenly, we realized-- was God calling her to go with her cousins who are leaving in a month on another Bible distribution trip to Africa?
And by taking away her job, was He asking her and us to once again rely on Him to supply her needs?
It took a few days and more tests of faith where it looked like the cost would be prohibitive,
but then cousin Ezra found a seat on the same plane as the other cousins and for the same price of just $1270.
So today Crystal made the decision, purchased the ticket, and is so excited again to be making plans, 
not just hopefully to begin Bible College this fall at Penn View Bible Institute
but to make another trip to South Africa and Nimibia from July 1st to August 11.
We ask your prayers, but praise God as well!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an amazing answer to prayer for Crystal! I am so excited for her to be able to go to S. A. again, as well as very happy to hear that she is planning to go to Bible College! Love, Sharon K.

    ReplyDelete

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...