Friday, January 20, 2017

Being Just a Mom on Inauguration Day

It's been a fun day--even if I wasn't the new First Lady of the United States.
I did not, like First Lady Trump, get a kiss on both cheeks by former President Obama or Michelle,
or by Mrs. Hillary Clinton or Bill,
but I am not the least bit jealous,
for I got several kisses from my own husband,
and I like that better. 
Much, much better, in fact!
I think it would be really hard to get kissed by Obama or Clinton,
all over your makeup,
when there hasn't been any making up.
So while President Trump was preparing for the inaugural address and the swearing in ceremony,
we were making buckwheat pancakes,
washing dishes, going to work, hosting cousins,

and watching our cat's antics when it was thirsty!

This is the way to get a drink, folks!
In short, I was just being a common, ordinary mama.
But I was having a very happy day.
Thank You, Lord of the lowly!
While I was working in the kitchen, it was fun to listen to Ezra trying out a few songs at the piano.
He was playing "Day by Day" for one.
And while it was fun on this day to watch blurbs of the inauguration,
it was also fun to just do kitchen work so my boys and girls could visit, play games, hike, and enjoy one day of company with cousins they hardly ever get to see.
After the boys got back from the  work site this afternoon, all the young people went for a hike up at the bluffs.

We hiked through the pines to this windmill.
You can see Rose hauling off and hurling a snowball at some unsuspecting and innocent bystander! :)
Then the children got the bright idea to throw snowballs to the dog,
who loved catching them in midair and then eating a few bites of snow from each one!
 Here comes the snowball!
I couldn't believe I got such a good snap with the snowball in the air!
And another one!
Can you find the snowball?
This time I got the snowball exploding in her mouth!
From there we hiked to the "lookout," as we call it.
Of course, the boys couldn't keep from doing some climbing and jumping.
I got this snap of Samuel in midair jumping to the next rock where Ezra is standing.
This evening we all gathered around to see the pictures of the work the boys did in Mexico with their missionary friend Aaron Griggs, who works in a small mining town in the mountains.
(The mines are gold mines, and the boys visited an old one.)
The cousins helped Aaron level ground and pour a foundation for a little house next to his church.
All work was by hand.
They also gathered, split and hauled rocks from a nearby streambed to build a retaining wall for the church.
Carrie and Rose missed having girl cousins,
but they got along just fine with the boys, anyhow!
They definitely hold their own!
We did our share of teasing, especially the one cousin who now has a girlfriend!

1 comment:

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...