What a busy week! After bidding my brother's family goodbye Saturday morning, Jonathan and I started packing for our trip to South Caicos, and then we headed off late afternoon to attend his mom's 80th birthday party at his parents' home.
I was thankful that my runny nose quit just in time for the party. Grandma likes the color lavendar, so decorations were lavendar.
Esther and Julie had coordinated the party, and I had been asked to bring corn and icecream, so that is what we brought. I was so thankful I didn't have to go to a lot of work, as I had been sick plus trying to pack for a big trip.
Dave and Ruth had traveled in from Albuquerque, and Ruth and Crystal
helped serve so Grandma could stay seated. Grandma usually serves
everyone else!
Esther brought meatloaf and cake, and Julie brought ham and yummy asparagus and salad.
The three brothers, Jonathan, Rob, and Dave (L-R) look at Rob's pictures of the bighorn sheep near his workplace, and discuss them.
Somehow we all managed to fit in Grandma's little house. They had set up two extra tables.
We all knew Grandpa likes lots of pictures when we all get together, so different ones were getting photos, including Rob who was trying to get a panoramic view.
I had been out for a few minutes and came back in just in time for the candlelighting and pictures.
Loved getting a picture of everyone taking pictures!
Jonathan's mom has been very blessed with good health and strength now for 80 years, and the entire clan was there, except for Barb and Chad in Idaho, Dave's children in New Mexico, and our Carrie who was away in Mexico.
As we all held hands around the table, Jonathan's dad offered a heartfelt prayer.
We were grateful for all God had brought us through and for all of us who were present and celebrating together.
No matter how old we are, we are a work in progress.
Esther had made this beautiful cake with pansies, one of Mama's favorite flowers.
She had not wanted any fancy celebrations, just family.
So we honored her desire.
Here Grandma is opening our gift of a photo calendar with all sorts of photos of her with husband, family, grandchildren, flowers, and homemade food, interspersed with couplets of poetry about Grandma!
Also, Hannah had done some origami and folded some money bills into butterflies which we stuck into the little pot of roses.
Grandma showed us this little plaque that Carrie had brought her when she stopped by to say happy birthday before leaving for Mexico.
And our dear Aunt Irina back in Russia had sent Grandma this pin we think she herself made for her.
It was exquisite work! Thank you, Aunt Irina!
Back home on Sunday morning, we loved seeing our little dog family out playing in the front yard.
I had to stay home from church as I was too exhausted and needed to rest before the big trip the next day.
I uploaded these pics Sunday so I could write this post when I had time on our trip.
And so--while Jonathan and I are waiting in the airport at Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos, I am updating this post!
No comments:
Post a Comment