Tuesday, February 6, 2018

"The Bumblebee Cannot Fly--" and Carrie Can't Walk!

When Sam and his cousins visited the White Sands Nat'l Missile Museum, they took a picture of this poster:
 
It says,"The Bumblebee cannot fly. According to recognized aerotechnical tests, the bumblebee cannot fly because of the shape and weight of his body in relation to the total wing area. BUT, the bumblebee doesn't know this, so he goes ahead and flies anyway!

I loved that! There are so many things that people have been told they cannot do--and then someone goes ahead and does what cannot be done and proves the skeptics and critics wrong.
*****
Well, as I mentioned in the last post, Carrie had injured herself jumping off a bucking horse--and we assumed that unless the doctor found no fractured bones, she wouldn't be able to fly on the mission trip to Mexico in the three weeks from the day she got hurt.
Carrie--the bumblebee who can't fly!! :)
Here we are helping her into the van after seeing the kind doctor that Jonathan "happened" to be working for,  and being sent down the street to the radiologist for an X-ray.
The doc told us we wouldn't hear the results of the X-ray till Monday. Till then we were to treat Carrie's injury as if it were a cracked pelvic bone, and she was not to put weight on that leg.
There is nothing can be done for that kind of break, as, like a broken collar bone, it requires just waiting for it to heal. 
Hmmm. 
Sooo--on Saturday Carrie sat around and mended and sewed.
I had cut out some little hearts from fabric I'd gotten in a packet at the goodwill, and she sewed them into little decorative pillows.
Hannah helped a little.
One side of the pillow was one pattern, and the other side was another pattern.

On Monday, when friends came to ride horse with Rose, Carrie was right in the middle of making homemade lipbalm with coconut oil, olive oil, cocoa butter, beeswax, and wild orange essential oil.
You can't keep that girl down.
 She was becoming professional at wheeling herself around in an office chair!
And it was with great excitement that she finally received a text from her dad, telling her that the doctor had called to say that the radiologist said there was no fracture after all!
She got up almost right away, trying to learn to use the crutches that Jonathan had picked up from his sister. And the first question she asked was, "May I go to Mexico?"

Her injury had occurred just a few hours after being invited to go along on a mission trip to Mexico!
I truly believe that Satan promptly attacked her.
Carrie had come crawling up the stairs after she got home from the bucking accident, and she was going gray and not able to think, and she burst into tears and almost collapsed in my arms. I didn't know if she was just fainting or if we were going to lose her, and I was about to call 911. We both were praying out loud, and I cried "Jesus, please heal her!"
 She came back to in my arms almost instantly, and when we found out a few days later that no bones were so much as cracked, God provided another time and reason to praise Him and watch Him overcome the wicked one.
Carrie has been busy helping chop veggies while sitting down, sorting receipts for us, and otherwise making herself useful while aiming to recover in time to go to Mexico in just over two weeks!
Meanwhile, Rose went right on riding horses with friends and here she is salting the elk hide that she has been curing for months.
She loves  doing things like this in her free time, and I'm really happy about that.

As for me, with Timmy sick all at the same time as Carrie was incapacitated, me spending hours sorting and filing thousands of office papers and teaching school, and now today Danny down very sick and throwing up and coughing, etc., well, let's just say that sometimes we make do with soup and cheese toast!

And peaches served from a can.
(My apologies to anyone who is looking for fancy ideas from blogs!)

This quote from a blog my sister Iva recently recommended to me was a blessing, and I thought I'd share these thoughts from a fellow mother, homeschooler, blogger and author.
"Countless times, I felt like I was not accomplishing anything productive. This is such a hard job, to love, educate and help shape our children's faith. It is especially challenging in a culture that offers so much differing advice that brings voices into our heads, which then that produces guilt and inadequacy. This same culture is isolationist and  provides few support systems or Biblical direction.
However, unless we learn to think rightly about ourselves, we will listen to the voices of condemnation and pay attention to the pointing fingers that say we are not enough and it will indeed influence how we live.
So many moms feel this way, but feelings do not necessarily determine reality! Not one of us will ever be perfect and we will all have voices that condemn us for different reasons. I have failed, I have a terrible past, I was abused, I am angry, I am lazy, I don't feel love in my heart for those in my home, and on and on. 
The starting point for all of us, first of all, is to learn the habit of living in the reality of God's view of us, His very generous and gracious love for us at every moment and to avoid thoughts of condemnation, mess and all.." Sally Clarkson
http://sallyclarkson.com/blog/2018/1/11/living-without-condemnation-oyl-3-a-podcast-part-1

1 comment:

Garden Delights--A Cheerful Reality

  Working in the garden and enjoying its harvest is not just an escape from reality--it is, in fact, a cheerful part of the reality of life....