Monday, February 4, 2019

Blizzards, Snow Forts and the Melting Influence of the Sun

A couple weeks ago, a blizzard came through and we got dumped with a lot of snow.
The drifts by our snow fence were so deep that the boys literally cut huge blocks of snow out of them to build a snow fort with.
Before Jonathan went to work that morning, we went out to admire our children's handiwork of the day before.
I had never seen this much snow and these many huge blocks of snow in my life.
 Timmy enjoys carrying one to the fort.
I'm always so happy to see my kids so happy outdoors, getting sunshine and exercise and fun!
As you can see, they spent hours playing!
 What's bad is when the snow is nearly this high in the driveway as well!
Or against the fence to the neighbor, and so when you take the dogs for a walk, they go sailing right over the drifted fence and into the neighbor's pasture and yard!
Several of us dug for half an hour to level that drift the dogs were using for a jumping board, and we also worked to snowblow the driveway to get a path through, and I shoveled a lot on our front side walk, glad for exercise and fresh air.
It took hours and shovels and snowblowers and sweat and aches to remove simply enough snow to get in and out of the house and drive safely without getting stuck.
But I couldn't help noticing, a day or two later, how quickly the snow disappeared under the influence of the sun.
No shoveling. No sweat. No noisy snowblowers.
Just the warm, quiet influence of the sunshine.
Already the deep drifts of snow have disappeared that were next to the south side of the house. 
No shoveling necessary.
Just the sun.
"Sun of my soul, Thou Savior dear,
It is not night, if Thou be near. 
Oh, may no earthborn cloud arise
To hide me from my Savior's eyes.

Abide with me from morn till eve,
For without Thee I cannot live.
Abide with me when night is nigh,
For without Thee I dare not die.

Watch by the sick; enrich the poor
With blessings from Thy boundless store;
Be every mourner's sleep tonight,
Like infant's slumber, pure and light.

Come near and bless us when we wake,
Ere through the world our way we take;
Till, in the ocean of Thy love,
We lose ourselves in heaven above."

Adapted from Katholisches Gesangbuch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...