Saturday, February 2, 2019

Scale Drawings--Do We Get to Draw our Own Plans?

Last week I was helping Danny in math with scale drawings when Jonathan brought out a big roll of a drawing he was working on from his office.
What a great chance to show our children how their math lesson would really apply in real life!
Jonathan showed the boys the scale, how one inch equaled many times its size on the paper. 
He told us what he is having to do with this old drawing from Regional, how he is having to show on paper the changes that have been made in the last 20 years in the building he is to work on. Regional wants new measurements of everything that has been done to the building, to update this drawing they have on file.
I would go in with Jonathan on Saturday where the two of us would spend three hours measuring every room, window, hall, wall, and door in that doctor's office building. I sat there with ruler and pen, carefully marking arrows and lines and measurements.
(I loved getting a chance to work together with my dear husband!
As we make changes to this 20-year-old paper, I think about how things looked in our lives 20 years ago.
We were in Ukraine. 
We thought we were going to be missionaries in another country the rest of our lives.
One year later things had drastically changed. 
We were back home in the States, and other missionaries soon would be as well, and the mission compound we had been working with would be taken over by a national who was trying to line his own pockets.
Those lines hadn't been drawn into the blueprint of our dreams.
In Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts, there was a quote I copied into my diary 7 years ago.
"You don't get to make up most of your story.
You get to make peace with it."
"You don't get to demand your life, like a given.
You get to accept your life, like a gift."
We never know when there will be unexpected changes that will alter the whole picture. 
We have to learn to accept the things we cannot change.
But God is there for all of it.
"Standing in the shadows, you'll find Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...