Sunday, February 9, 2020

Overheard on the Church Bus

When Jonathan and I take folks back on the church bus to their assisted living home, we always try to be friendly and strike up some conversations, but last Sunday, the time turned into more than small talk.
One of the ladies was worrying about her mother who is battling cancer and about her desire to go see her, something she cannot afford to do since her mother is out of state.
"What about sending her a card?" I suggested.
"I hadn't thought of that," the lady said, sounding almost relieved. "I could do that."
"Do you have a card?" I wondered. 
"I can't afford one," was the answer. 
 "I have a card!" the lady opposite the aisle chimed in. "I can give you a card!"
"What about just a letter?" I brainstormed. "Do you have paper?"
"Yes, I could write a letter. I have a piece of paper."
"Do you have a stamp?"
"No, I don't."
"I have a stamp!" the lady across the aisle chimed in again.
"Do you have her address?" I asked.
There was a bit of a moan. "No. But I can call her. I have her phone number."

"I would encourage you to write that letter," I told the lady. "Or call her. Express that you feel bad about how your relationship hasn't been the greatest. Or perhaps don't say anything about that. Just let your mother know you care and are thinking about her."
"I'll write her a letter!" the lady decided with conviction.
Whether she will follow through or not is up to her, but this is just one thing discussed during those twelve minutes on the bus that day. When we finished our picnic lunch Sunday, Hannah and I made two homemade cards to give this lady so that she would have something to send her mother. Unfortunately, we weren't able to touch base again that day as the lady didn't come to Kids Club as she usually does, but Friday night we were given a whole pile of cards for free, a couple of which I want to send this lady with stamps so she will have a way to reach out to her mother.
We don't always know why the Lord has us where He does, and sometimes it doesn't seem all that important to simply drive folk home after church to their assisted living place.
But then you get in on someone feeling helpless about mending a relationship or reaching out to someone staring death in the face.
And God asks you, someone who understands about trying helplessly to mend something, or someone who can't afford to fly all over the country to see a suffering relative or friend,  to help them find a way to reach out.

Sometimes He uses the lady across the aisle who has suffered a stroke but is eager to pitch in and help with a card and stamp.
You never know what a trip on the church bus will bring forth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...