This morning we had the privilege of attending the baptism of Mandy, a sweet friend of our family.
Her mother reached out to me about six years ago to do some home school activities and take some field trips and hikes together. We've been steady friends ever since.
We don't have to agree on every point of doctrine or worship style to be friends.
but we do have to mutually respect each other, be honest with one another, and be open-hearted.
This family became friends at a time when we were struggling with intense loneliness and deep hurt,
and the big thing I've appreciated about Mandy's mother is her honesty. She will be very up front with me about their boundaries, beliefs, and other things, and I respect that. I can be friends with someone who is honest, respectful, and kind even if I don't agree with them.
A meal for the nearly 300 people was served at a nearby high school cafeteria.
There seemed to be no end of desserts!
This church has roots in Eastern Europe, and the ladies are amazing about bringing their best.
One of our fruit pizzas is in the top left, and I loved this cake shaped like an X, for a kiss, I assume.
I love desserts surrounded by berries!
Beautiful drink setup.
After the meal and a prayer of thanks, the cafeteria and halls rang with the voices of the church people, 300 strong, singing praise to the Lord for all His benefits to us.
We got to sit with a family of six children, and on the way in, I was overhearing two fathers walking down the hall near me discussing the blessing of this time of life when his several children are small.
It was so different to hear parents counting several young children as a blessing instead of bothers.
There was a beautiful atmosphere of love there, with brothers and sisters in Christ reaching out to one another with hugs all over the place.
After the after-the-meal prayer of thanks (an Eastern European tradition of praying after the meal as well as before it), three hundred voices were lifted in a beautiful, four-part acappella harmony
as they sang a song of praise to God for all His benefits to us.
After the after-the-meal prayer of thanks (an Eastern European tradition of praying after the meal as well as before it), three hundred voices were lifted in a beautiful, four-part acappella harmony
as they sang a song of praise to God for all His benefits to us.
I do not have to agree on every point of doctrine or church practice to accept these dear people as fellow Christians. I appreciate all who are seeking to follow Christ.
But we do relate in special ways to folk who have roots in Eastern Europe since we spent several years in Ukraine. The young man sitting next to Sam in church was reading along in a Hungarian Bible.
It was a very, very special day!








No comments:
Post a Comment