Thursday, July 22, 2021

A Precious Preposition: "With"

This evening as sleep eluded me for a while, my hands were folded in the darkness--
a silent prayer to the God Who hears prayers of the heart in the dark
when others are sleeping.
I was thinking about those who are walking through the valley of the shadow,
and I was remembering what Psalm 23 says about it.

It says, "Yes, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me."

With me.

With.

Beside.
Not alone.
Together.
His hand holding mine.
His arms around me.
His presence real.
It means that I do not walk through any valley, any shadow, any death--alone.
And neither do you.

 Always, the Shepherd is there with me.
With you.

In the valley.
Through the shadows.
In death.
Always.
"Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the world."
 
And so now I have a new favorite word as I look toward the shadows in the future. 
It is simply "with."
A preposition sent from heaven to our valleys of shadows.
 I can go anywhere, even into the valley of the shadow of death, without fear,
because He is with me.
 

2 comments:

  1. Gospel of the preposition. So I titled a message I have preached around Christmans time. "He shall save his people FROM their sin." Lots of Gospel truth in prepositions.

    ReplyDelete

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...