Wednesday, September 7, 2022

The Truck Built from Scraps--Children's Choice of Toy

I got a text a week and a half ago with this picture. This is the little truck our Danny put together a couple months ago on our first trip to start building our house in South Dakota.

The message said that the children in this Sunday School class LOVE to play with this truck. 
I thought how children love toys that are made from scraps. 
You can give them all sorts of plastic toys from the store, all sorts of dolls and even techy toys, but somehow, children get the most fun and fascination out of a toy built from scraps.
At the missionary retreat we attended last week, there happened to be a gym on the campground, with this climbing wall.  
The children and young people alike had a blast. There goes Danny!

He hit the high mark! And missionary Mr. Smith, board member Mr. Sams and Danny's dad cheered for him!
But when it came down to it, the kids enjoyed the dirt and the sand and the river water and sticks and just time with their parents and friends as much as anything!
 
But I keep thinking about that truck put together from a bunch of scraps. 
The way the kids love it.
Kids have a knack of loving things that are made from scraps.
They haven't lived long enough to learn to value
fake plastic toys trying to be something they aren't ,
technology,
others' opinions,
the media's opinions,
and television advertisements.
They just like simple things.  

Things made from scraps, for instance.
Scraps of wood from the building site. 
Over and over I realize how I just don't fit with the classy (even though I recognize and admire true class)
and how I fit anywhere but in cathedrals or fancy places or with cool people. 
My life seems to be a collection of scraps--bits and pieces here and there,
some good, some bad, 
some worthy, some I'd like to hide somewhere. 
The struggle to process all the changes,
the taking of risks and bearing the consequences--
or rejoicing because I actually took a wise risk that turned out okay!
But Lord, if maybe those scraps would make something that would delight the small and insignificant of society,
the children,
the lonely,
the unworthy,
the less than'ers,
I would be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...