Friday, April 28, 2023

When You Don't Know Where to Start--Just Do One Thing

This morning I went gingerly out to the garage to see how things were out there. The guys in the household have been doing some work out there, trying to figure out what to take and what to get rid of. But the garage right then was just a mess. Danny was standing in the middle of it, like a lost puppy unsure where to go next.


I came back into the house. I'd rather work anywhere besides that garage.

Even the basement is better than the garage.
That garage has been the bane of my existence.
Even the crawl space is better than the garage! :) Here two of my girls and cousin Candace (a couple weeks ago) were working at taking apart a shelving unit that was in the crawl space. I heard a bad crack, and this is what I saw when I went to investigate. Apparently nothing particularly tragic had occurred. Just some random snap of something as they took the shelf apart.
Crystal worked at putting our food grade diatomacous earth in jars. It is good to eat a little a day for the silica (it fights cancer and provides minerals for your hair and nails), but it isn't good to breathe it in. So Crystal wore her dad's hankie.
But back to my ponderings for the day.
About the garage, and how no one knows where to even begin out there. But someone has to start out there somewhere.

I guess that will be me today.


Even though I'd rather be taking all our wall decor down from the walls! Anything except the garage! But I told myself, "When you don't know where to start, just do one thing. Just one thing at a time. Pick up this old piece of dirty carpet that the dogs were using. Throw it away. Wind up this extension cord. Stack these boards. Put away those tools. Sort those items. Sweep those few square feet."

In about an hour, some paths were cleared through the stuff. And there was enough space that when Jonathan came home, there was space to haul in out of the rain a huge roll of carpet he'd found on clearance for our South Dakota home. 

When there's something we need to do but it is such a big project we don't know where to start, just do one thing. 

And that will clear the path toward the next thing, and the next,

and soon the project will be completed.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...