My
brother Fain and his wife Regina freeze-dried a whole boxful of fruits
and vegetables to send with the Labor Day team that came to help us. I
have been so grateful especially for the raspberries which I eat with my
cottage cheese and flax oil each day. The dried berries are a small,
tasty treat.
These
last few days before chemo I am remembering to enjoy good tastes a
little extra, as tastes change while taking chemo. Does anything taste
good with chemo happening?
I don't know. But long ago I made a decision to live for Christ, and not for other things, including food.
My taste buds should not be my master.
Instead I should be in control of my appetite--at least so far as I am able.
When I can't enjoy eating, maybe I can enjoy touching soft blankets or seeing beautiful scenes...
Like this one with hay bales all lined up in a mowed field.
I do not have to shrivel up and die like the yellow-breasted meadowlark I found along the road on my way to the mailbox recently--
just because I can't enjoy my favorite foods anymore.
I do pray that I will continue to be able to write. This book is the proof for my newest book that is preparing to be printed and published in the next few weeks. I understand that last night during the debate, vice-presidential can did ate Walz was asked about his claim to be in Hong Kong during the famous--or rather infamous--Tia nan men Mass acre in 1989. This book tells of how my next younger brother and I actually were in C h i n a on that fateful day--with a team that had gone with a purpose.
So I hope I can continue to write these stories, even if I am nauseated, even if I can hardly stand to swallow my pills, even if I feel terrible.
But if not, if not, I will still love You, Lord.
When I was twelve years old, I gave You everything.
And that included taste buds and chemo treatments.
But oh, I have tasted and seen that You, Lord, are so good.
Blessed is the man who trusts in You!
No comments:
Post a Comment