Monday, August 4, 2025

"I Was Glad...to Go to the House of the Lord"

 Sunday these lusciously pink gladioli went with Hannah and me to decorate the front of the sanctuary at St. Francis Holiness Chapel where the girls had helped with VBS last week. When it was my turn to go up and tell the children's story, I first had Hannah tell the children the names of all the flowers, from red zinnias to Blue Monday flax.

But the glads were what I focused on, because, I said, they reminded me of the verse in Psalms that says, "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord." 
And I told the kids (and adults who happened to be there) that I discovered in my concordance that the word "glad" is in Psalms exactly 31 times--enough for every day of this new month of August! 
Just before leaving for church, I had run down to the windmill (minus the wheel which keeps getting blown off anyway in this South Dakota wind) near the deck steps to take a couple pictures of the morning glories freshly blooming that morning. 
 
Jonathan's mom used to grow morning glories around the squeaky windmill in their back yard, and I just LOVE morning glories. Well, didn't Hannah plant morning glories here by our windmill, too!
I just love them, the way they climb up it and bloom fresh each morning.
Accidentally I touched the selfie mode and decided to go ahead and snap this photo, too, while admiring the morning glories.  
So between the glads and the glories, it was a glad and glorious Sunday morning--complete with helping out again at church, sharing a true story from Ukraine, and sharing garden produce with friends. 
Sunday evening was just as glad--picking up folk from the shelter for church, and making two trips to take attendees back home, some to the shelter and some to Sunrise Apartments-- the "ghetto of Mission."
After lurching over countless potholes and speed bumps in that awful section of town, we took a moment to pray for that spot--the worst place in town--and for God to work His own glad and glorious transformation in hearts and lives.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...