Friday, August 8, 2025

Motorcycles--a Way to Connect

You don't have to own a motorcycle to relate to someone who does. You just have to have a nephew who has one, and who dropped in to spend a day in the middle of his trip from Virginia all the way to the Pacific Ocean and back! 
 
In the photo above, Danny is showing Henry our one-of-a-kind coffee bars complete with an epoxy river full of empty shells and coffee beans. 
But back to motorcycles.  
This week when Crystal took me to Rapid City for my appointment to get my stitches out, we saw one motorcycle after another, because the ten-day Sturgis Bike Rally is underway. I read there were about 450,000 bikes there. I've been to Sturgis and I just can't imagine. 
A year or two ago Jonathan joined a team that was passing out gospel literature to the bikers.
In the photo above there was a fancy rig beside us at Walmart, from out of state.  
On our way to church Sunday before last, we had picked up a family, and I was telling them about my nephew arriving on his motorcycle, and how he'd traveled thousands of miles all the way to the Pacific Ocean and back, having to wait out storms, travel at night to beat the awful heat (above 100 degrees some of the time), and figure out his meals.
 
The lady said her father used to motorcycle all the way from Connecticut out here to South Dakota when he was dating her mom. This lady's parents met in the army, and it was worth it to her dad to brave the elements and motor out here for her!
(I'm getting a whiff of a story right there!) 
 
No, one doesn't have to own a motorcycle to connect with people, but it does take thinking of something to say.  And sometimes, if the subject is motorcycles, it can open up a fascinating story!

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...