Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Bad Hair Days Anyone?

Every once in a while, somebody does have bad hair days around here. 
This time it was poodle's turn.
 

And of course, there are always those fine, aristocratic, behatted fair ladies who will have all sorts of suggestions on how to avoid bad hair days--or how to cut the bad hair off.

 Suggestions such as:
1) Never get married.
2) Don't have any children.
3) If you do have children, don't have more than two.
oops. 
There are still bad hair days.

 4) Send said children off to school all day so you can....
1) organize your linen closet

 and things like that!
Actually, it was Carrie who straightened this closet the other day for me--without being told. 
Carrie is becoming my left hand help, with Crystal being my right hand. 
I am so blessed with helpful, respectful daughters who are truly becoming beautiful, caring, thoughtful young women.

As for the boys and little ones, they love to follow their daddy around whenever they get the rare chance.
On this day last week, the whole family had a project helping at a friend's place--
loading scrap metal. 
Jonathan strapped this old camper behind the trailer, to drag it to a spot where it can be dealt with.
 The three younger children had themselves a fun ride inside it. Happy memories--all from reaching out to help a friend! That is one of the best ways to keep from having bad hair days--
do something for somebody else!
 There is little time for complaining when you are pitching in to help an elderly person, a widow, an invalid, or someone less fortunate than yourself. There just simply isn't time to sit around griping about--
your own or someone else's bad hair.

I hit some low moments this afternoon. I read my Bible--trying to find a Psalm about a prayer in such times. 
I prayed. 
I thought about calling my dear hubby--but I didn't want to bother him. 
(Yesterday I called him to tell him that Crystal happened to have a CD on that had George Beverly Shea singing wedding songs, and I was getting teary on "Because," and called Jonathan
just to tell him I loved him.
I hope he felt loved.)
Today I wanted to go do something to pull myself out of those low moments. Maybe shop. Maybe go to cottage prayer meeting. But I had decided not to go to town today as there was too much to do and all the trips add up the gas mileage. 
Soooo--for a few moments, I went around taking pictures to put on my blog.
Like of our aspen tree--which we thought had been half ruined with the bad frost a couple months ago, but the leaves on the branch tips are indeed breaking out after all.
 And a picture of the girls' little raised bed--with lettuce and radishes, protected by a hail screen--for days like today when hail fell for a bit.
Screen, O Lord, the hailstones from our lives. Protect us with the Shield of Your mercy and grace.
 May the tender plants--and all the tender areas of our hearts--be kept safe by Your love and pity.
And may there be grace for bad hair days and low moments, for hail-stricken plants and frosted twig-tips, for hurtful memories that send us for long walks, and for all the difficult places in our lives.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

God Keeps Making Our Fawn a Blessing

A day or two ago, I got a call from our pastor's wife who thought I'd like to know that our fawn is bringing joy not just to us and ...