Friday, December 26, 2014

Love Came Down at Christmas

It was one of the happiest Christmases we ever had!
It was wonderful to just stay home and celebrate as a family--and then later spend a few hours with
my sister Iva's family who had called and asked if they could come join us for Christmas.

Jonathan had plumb surprised me on Christmas Eve by bringing in a new bed for him and me and setting it up in the livingroom while I was in finishing wrapping gifts. There it was in the middle of the livingroom when I came out--to replace the dilapidated and sinking-in-the-middle bed we had!
And the best part is that he got this new bed where a motel was remodeling--for just $15.
I got a good night's rest, with my shoulder/back problem somewhat improved by morning. 
After breakfast, Jonathan read from a Christmas Ideals magazine, a selection about keeping Christmas all year long, and a Scripture selection about Mary's announcement to Elizabeth.
 We usually have a special Christmas breakfast--usually omelets with toppings. This time I chose mushrooms, bacon, and avocado. Others like bacon and cheese.
 Jonathan always adds jalapenos! And salsa on top then.
 Jonathan said the dishes had to be done and Mom said the house needed to be straightened before we opened the rest of the gifts. (We open some on Christmas Eve, and then save a few nice ones for Christmas morning.) Our girls had been very, very busy in the last few weeks, lovingly sewing and knitting for their brothers and sisters. They made new book bags for the boys.
 A hat for Hannah--knitted by Rose.
 Nightgowns homemade or almost new from the Goodwill for all the girls, and Bibles, books or hymn CD's for some. 
 This one I made, with a little help from Crystal.
 I didn't have enough of one kind of flannel, so I made the front one way, and the back the other. These homemade gifts are the highlights!
Though the scooter bought off Craig's List, and the radio controlled zoomers for the boys came in pretty close.
 Then later in the morning as mom and girls start on meal preparations for company, Jonathan and Sam head up on the roof to clean out the chimney.
It was so clogged with creosote, poor Old Santa Claus just didn't make it down this year! :)
 Jonathan ran a big chain down the chimney, knocking creosote down.
 We made a fruit dish with pineapple, kiwi, and apples...
 and delicious popcorn balls made with molasses and brown sugar. They were so good, that I hate to confess I ate about six of them myself!
 Iva had called about a week ago, asking if they could join us for Christmas, and of course, I said yes! She arrived with this delightful ham.
 Gathered around the dinner table, we sang "What Can I Give Him--Give Him My Heart,"
to the tune of "In the Bleak Midwinter," and then Jonathan returned thanks. 
I loved singing that little verse before the Christmas dinner. 
There was such a sense of reverence as we finished singing in three or four part harmony.
That moment of quiet, sincere reverence was the most precious moment of Christmas to me.
May we truly give Jesus our heart, not just one time in our life, but every Christmas,
and every day of the year.
 And so then we dug in to the mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, turkey, ham, and banana bread.
Yes, our meal was pretty simple this year.
 Desserts came later, after I washed a huge stack of dishes, and the men and children took this load of alfalfa hay out to the steers. What a merry Christmas for the steers! We were so thankful to have found this somewhat weathered hay at just $25 per 850-lb. bale rather than $100-200 like usual. The steers were very, very happy.
 Iva and girls played Probe.
 Then Kenn did.
And Rose made these charming Christmas marshmallow treats dipped in chocolate.
 We had hoped to maybe carol like last year, but Iva's family needed to get on home before it snowed, and I did not feel the greatest, especially after a blood vessel burst in my eye on Christmas Eve.
So instead we all headed to bed early, the children cozying up under the Christmas tree lights while Jonathan read a Christmas story from Little House on the Prairie, about the Christmas Laura and Mary thought they were not going to have, and how Mr. Edwards surprised them by crossing the swollen creek and bringing the girls peppermint candy and two new tin cups!
Hannah went to sleep on my lap--and I have to admit, I just sat there enjoying my littlest daughter all konked out on me! 
 I've always loved the stories of little Laura Ingalls' Christmases--so simple because they were so poor, yet so happy because there were low expectations and so much love!
One tin cup, one peppermint cane, one little sugar cake, and one penny made Laura and her sister
supremely happy. 
And it's true our family had more than that this Christmas, but this time expectations were low,
we spent Christmas in our own home, and so many of the gifts were homemade with love.
I didn't think Laura and Mary could have been much happier than we were yesterday.
 It was a wonderful ending to a wonderful Christmas! Even our geranium celebrated in Christmas colors on the windowsill!
 And so today, after a busy morning and chopping veggies for a huge crockpot of chili to take to any and all hard-working relatives packing and working at Grandma and pa's new house tomorrow,  I have sorted through one of the big stacks of papers on Jonathan's desk, filing and throwing away,  while uploading photos--
to share our happy Christmas with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...