I asked Jonathan, "Do you know that I have the same feelings toward my birthplace as you do for yours here in Colorado?"
He said yes.
But he didn't decide to move back to PA.
We just took looks at the horses and buggies...
and drove to visit the old covered bridge just down the road from where my family was living over 20 years ago just before we got married.
Jonathan and I had walked down to this bridge the week before our wedding.
The old home place where my folks lived for several years. Now it appears that Amish folk are living here.
I enjoyed admiring the wedding photos of my siblings that my mom has on the wall.
It was good to see my parents again.
Danny and Hannah played with the set of blocks that my brother Fain had made years ago.
Outside Fain's boys and our Sam help unload straw to cover the strawberry patch...
in the back part of my folks' property.
I loved this rag quilt that my sister-in-law Elizabeth had made for my parents.
Back at Joella's lovely home, I let her charmingly cute little 2-year-old Laura help me stir the banana cakes I made for Sunday's potluck.
I can't get over Laura's unmanageable curls.
Her big brother wants to help, too.
Gotta lick the spoon.
Joella and her girls were constantly busy, between schooling, music practice, and sewing.
They were making dresses for themselves and others.
It was a treat getting to watch Craig and Joella practice their piano duet.
On Sunday evening, our family attended the Beavertown God's Missionary Church with Craig and Joella's family. Jeff Stratton, who had preached revival at our own church only a couple weeks before, led the service. Joella's family sang for the offertory--a medley of "This Is My Father's World" and "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands."
It was stupendous. Their Susanna is a tremendously gifted pianist.
The Beavertown church at night.
We were told the dome in the foyer was actually the top of a barn silo!
Interesting!
Joella's family spent a lot of time practicing their singing, piano, bells, and strings.
Even their littlest boy played on "Jingle Bells."
I am uploading photos in between going through a stack of mail, checking lessons, directing the wrapping of gifts for our oldest son's birthday, putting away things from our trip, gathering things for another trip back to OH to attend the funeral of our friend and coworker, Dave Weaver.
He was head of the Construction Department of Mission Helps for about 19 years.
We are so thankful for the free miles Jonathan has which enable Jonathan and me to travel a bit together.
When we return from there in a couple days, I hope to post more pictures both of the funeral and more about our Morley reunion at Thanksgiving.
No comments:
Post a Comment