A new house is going in down the road from us, and yesterday we watched a crane set the halves of the house in place. Jonathan was grimacing about a "cracker box" going in,
but I told him at least it wasn't a huge mansion that would shut out the view of Pikes Peak!
And so, pausing in the middle of our workday, here is another poem I wrote a while back.
"Not for a Lighter Load"
I ask not for a lighter load
But strength to carry on.
I ask not for the smoothest road,
But shoes to walk upon.
I ask not for a peacock's plume.
A sparrow's dress is fine.
I ask no palace full of rooms,
Just a home that's truly mine.
I ask not for total freedom
From a family's strain and stress.
Just love for all my children
And needed nights of rest.
I ask not for perfection
In my other "better half,"
Just acceptance of him as he is,
And humor enough to laugh!
I ask not for a thornless rose,
Just let me hold the flower.
I don't need all things to know
Just wisdom for each hour.
I ask Thee not for cloudless skies,
Just dry my falling tears,
And send a rainbow's sweet surprise
To touch my heart with cheer!
*****************
We had wanted to go camping as a family before Crystal left for Africa, but between illness, bad weather, and work schedule we just couldn't make it happen. So Monday I took the children to go for a hike in the foothills of Pikes Peak to St. Mary's Falls.
I should never have tried to hike that whole 5 or 6 miles round trip, but I did. And for the record, Hannah and I were the only ones who made it clear to the Falls!
Right near the end of the trail, there is a confusing fork in the trail, and it looks like you are supposed to go straight up by the stream, but the real trail goes off across the hillside and back in a loop to the falls.
I remembered that from when we hiked here last time 5 years ago with Elon's family, and so Hannah and I took the correct trail.
I remembered that from when we hiked here last time 5 years ago with Elon's family, and so Hannah and I took the correct trail.
The other children who were ahead took off up by the stream and then had to turn back to hunt for me.
Not finding me, they started back the way we came, thinking I may have turned around and gone back since I was getting exhausted.
Meanwhile, Hannah is crying because her legs are tired and I am about ready to collapse, too.
She and I arrived at the Falls, sat there in the shade eating the rest of our carrots and peanuts,
and called for the kids, thinking they might be hiding to surprise us.
Suspecting what had happened and that we'd missed each other at the fork, Hannah and I slipped and slid down the steep and pebbly trail back to the fork.
Two and a half miles on down the trail, the children waited back at the van and Sam and Rose were just starting back up the trail to look for me when I came down--still peddling, but barely!
Hannah had been a total trooper, and kept herself going by looking for these edible mushrooms to take home for her daddy.
It was so sweet to me to watch how she forgot herself and her weariness by thinking of the father she loved and how she wanted to bring him a gift from the hike.
Heavenly Father, give us such a love for You,
that in the weariness of the journey of life we may forget ourselves in our desire to bring you the
precious gift of a loving heart as we walk this path.
Refresh us by the rippling streams.
Protect us from taking the wrong direction at crucial forks in our lives--
from pushing straight forward when you want us to make a turn or a change,
or from veering off in some wrong direction when you want us to proceed straight ahead, the same as ever.
Though we may miss the mark at times here on the earth,
and not make it clear to the end of the trail here,
grant us, by Your grace, to keep plodding until we reach the heavenly gates,
there to lean our weary head upon You, and find rest in a heavenly home!
Both prayer poems in this post were a real blessing to me. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete