Friday, July 17, 2015

Two Gifts--a Thorn and Grace

My loving Lord said unto me,
"I have two gifts, two gifts for thee."
"For me?" thought I. "Two gifts for me?
What could they be? What could they be?
"Perhaps could it be a mine of gold?
Fulfillment of a dream untold?
Or a faithful friend to have and hold?
Or a child's life to teach and mold?"
God spoke. I listened all forlorn.
He spoke: "I give to thee a thorn."
"A thorn, my Lord? You said a thorn?"
"Tis true," He said. My heart was torn.

"Oh, Father, what a gift for me!
A thorn and an infirmity!"
He said, "It is My gift to thee
Lest thou too exalted be."
My heart felt crushed and full of fear.
"This gift, a thorn to prick and sear.
What is the other? Let me hear!"
My loving Lord drew very near
So near that I could see His face.
He drew me close, His arms my place,
And said with love in every trace,
"My second gift to you is grace!"

And never shall I give to thee
A thorn without My grace to be
Sufficient for its agony,
To crown it with My victory."

"My Lord," I said, "I trust Thy love!
It all my heart and soul doth move
To thank Thee for the thorn to prove,
And grace to lead me home above."

In a blog post I read today, a guest post by Scott Sauls said,
"Kierkegaard said that the thorn in his foot enabled him to spring higher than anyone with sound feet.
The Apostle Paul said something similar about the thorn in his flesh. The thorn kept him from becoming prideful. It kept him humble. It kept him fit for God and fit for the people whom God had called him to love and serve. There is glory in weakness. There is a power that is made perfect in that place. (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)"

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...