Jonathan knew how I was missing trees and autumn leaves,
even though I try very, very hard to be content
by taking pictures of the flowers blooming around our mailbox.
:) :)
So he invited me to go up to a little job with him late one afternoon after I had taken Carrie to a violin lesson, so I could see some trees.
Well, we didn't really see that many trees, but Jonathan was glad I came along,
because he got stalled in the repair job he was doing.
He was replacing the window cranks at two windows,
and the new cranks did not have all the parts needed.
He had to salvage old parts from the old gismo, and one part could only be retrieved by taking apart
He had to salvage old parts from the old gismo, and one part could only be retrieved by taking apart
a little tiny connector that had a spring O-ring.
With one hand, he was holding the gismo, and with the other, he was trying to release the teeny, tiny O-ring.
And he couldn't do it because the O-ring kept sliding around every time he tried to pick at it.
He tried, and tried, and finally I caught on what he was doing.
"Do you need another hand?" I wondered, squatting down to help.
I poked a little tool into place to keep the O-ring from swiveling, and he was finally able to
get it out and free the part he needed.
The rest could be done on his own, with his little
needle-nosed pliers.
And we can try and try and try
to do things on our own,
when really we just need another set of Hands to help us.
Those Hands are right there, willing and ready, if we would only ask.
After, that Jonathan readily asked for help.
"I dropped four screws out the window onto the gravel by the side of the house," he told me.
So I accompanied him to where he'd been working on the window
and I found two screws and he found one.
And sometimes, it's another pair of Eyes that we need--
the Eyes that wander to and fro over the face of the earth
looking to see how they can look upon and help the righteous.
Sometimes, we just have to let go entirely--
it seems that our own hands just get in God's way.
He's the One Who knows how to handle situations,
how to repair broken things.
Sometimes, it takes going to your prayer closet
or trysting place in the field
or perhaps even the haymow like where I landed last Sunday afternoon,
sitting there in the prickly hay,
turning one burden after another over to the Lord.
Another Pair of Hands.
Another set of Eyes.
Another Heart that throbs with the Love that only He can impart.
And when your little daughter comes in and discovers you there,
and decides to try climbing up, too,
you can face her with a smile
because your problems and the problems of those you love
have been turned over into
Bigger Hands Than Yours.
No comments:
Post a Comment