Sunday, October 18, 2015

When Bad Memories Stare You in the Face, Make New Ones

One evening last week we had to go in town because Jonathan's truck had been in the repair shop, and we needed to bring that and the car home that he'd been driving in.
So we took the opportunity to have a picnic up in Cheyenne Canyon, 
and walk up to Helen Hunt Falls.
Hardly anyone was there that time of day and year.
Further down, we found a picnic spot which we and others have frequented from time to time,
and began to unload our supper things. 
I stood there, after putting things out on the table, and admitted to Jonathan that 
this place brought back some bad memories.
The way I'd been treated by others in a situation here, 
and something else dumb I had done all at the same picnic. 
"Bad memories," I had told my husband miserably. 
He put his arm gently around me.
"Make new ones," he said softly.
And we did.
We sat in the chilly canyon, his warm arm around my shoulder, 
eating barbecued pork and pickled beets and potato chips
and watching the older children hike up the side of the canyon 
and wave at us from way up top.
We walked down a trail we had never walked on before.
We admired the autumn leaves and breathed in fresh canyon air,
and held hands
and noticed fuzz balls in one tree
and watched evening settle in a mountain canyon.
So when bad memories stare you in the face,
make new ones!
It's your choice.

1 comment:

  1. Anna, this post meant a lot to me because I know of several places where I've had to make "new" memories for myself also! I still have some places like that yet to be done! Keep up your courage! I wish I could send you some flowers and trees to enjoy this fall! Love ya, girl!
    Sharon Knight

    ReplyDelete

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...