Monday, October 16, 2017

A Friend's Wedding Day and Friend Day--and What a Friend We Have in Jesus!

Even though Jonathan and I had just gotten home from several hours of travel Saturday from a new friend's wedding, 
we drove up again Sunday to the mission church in Denver, as it was their Fall Friend Day,
and we wanted to help support their effort.
 A lot of Fall Friend Day invitations had been given out in the community, and there was a special speaker, Justin Stanton, our good friend, who was there with his wife, Melanie and little daughter. 
Pastor Walker led the song, "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" before the message.
 It would have been easy to focus on everyone who wasn't there. 
But look at all the people who were there--including a young man from the Springs whom we'd invited up and who was dropped off by another young man traveling through Denver that  morning.
For others' privacy's sake, I don't like to put faces on my blog, but I got a side view of the fellowship picnic afterward. I know some, like the Albertsons, who used to attend here before they moved, will enjoy seeing what is happening.
Here is Pastor Walker grilling burgers and hot dogs, and his wife provided baked beans, chips, and brownies. We took home-pressed apple cider, pumpkin rolls, etc. 
Here is Crystal with the Walker's baby, and to the left you can see a lady from the community whom Pastor Walker has been picking up each Sunday morning ever since the Beavertown youth group was here.
She ate one piece after another of the delicious pumpkin rolls that Rose had made!
She has had one stroke and heart attack after another, and life is just very hard for her right now.
I can only imagine that she probably doesn't cook much for herself.
How blessed we should consider ourselves if we get a few square meals a day!
Soon she will be moving to assisted living, but the Walkers faithfully minister to her each week till then. She is hearing the gospel.
Addison was fascinated with the basket of mums we brought.
The three little girls enjoyed playing with sidewalk chalk while the  mothers made sure they shared!
I really appreciated seeing the  moms watching over the little girls and insisting on obedience and sharing.
I showed the young moms pictures of the wedding we'd been to the day before, and they talked about wedding gowns.
One mom said she had visited five different wedding gown shops before her wedding, and not one of them had a wedding gown with so  much as shoulder straps, to say nothing of sleeves.
 When I got married, I wanted Jonathan to like my wedding gown, so I showed him patterns I was considering.My gown would not be a total surprise because I didn't want to come down the aisle and have him gulping, gagging or grumping
over the crazy dress I was wearing!
I wanted my wedding gown to be pretty to him.
I was marrying my best friend, and I wanted him to be happy!
I should have said, "second-best friend," because Jesus is my very best friend.
And that is not a cliche.
Someday, we all want to be part of His bride.
Jesus, will You be happy with our wedding dress on that day?
Will it be beautiful enough, modest enough, white enough?
Jesus, I'm so afraid that the self-righteous gown I might want would not be beautiful to You.
It might be dirty, cheap, flimsy, and not cover enough.
Or it  might cover too much, because I am trying too hard to cover more than I need to, even my hands and my feet and my face,
when You want to see me just as I am--simple, with Your robe of righteousness which is just exactly right because You made it and paid for it!
So Jesus, I'm going to let You help me choose the pattern and make my gown for me. 
 Most Bridegrooms don't sew the wedding gown, or even pay for it.
But Jesus has provided His own wedding gown for His bride, and paid for it with His own blood.
We don't have to go to wedding shops or search Ebay or Amazon or even sew our own.
Thank You, Jesus, for being my very best friend--my coming King and Bridegroom!
And thank You that when I am uncertain of my ability to please You,
You have already made my beautiful gown for me!
And I can rest in You, folded in Your acceptance and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...