Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Chocolate Coins Under Old Boards

Last week the children and I worked to stack all this scrap wood that the two Samuel's had brought home from an old deck they'd torn down.
With all of us helping, it only took a few hours to get the wood cut, stacked, and the mess raked up.
I knew this kind of work isn't very fun, so I hid some gold chocolate coins out there underneath various pieces of wood for the children to find as they helped load the wheelbarrow.
I read today that Charles Spurgeon said, “They who dive in the sea of affliction bring up rare pearls.”
John Piper, in today's devotional of Solid Joys wrote,"Learning obedience does not mean switching from disobedience to obedience. It means growing deeper and deeper with God in the experience of obedience. It means experiencing depths of yieldedness to God that would not have been otherwise attained. This is what came through suffering. No pain, no gain.
Samuel Rutherford said that when he was cast into the cellars of affliction, he remembered that the great King always kept his wine there."
Remembering that God has a purpose for the afflictions, sufferings, chastenings or testings that we go through gives us hope.
  And hope gives us strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...