Friday, April 20, 2018

Our Fun Date--and The Improper Care and Feeding of Husbands

Last week Jonathan had suggested I go on a date with him Friday evening when he had to travel 45 minutes to Castle Rock on an errand. As it turned out, we both knew Friday evening was a TERRIBLE time to eat out or travel the interstate between here and Denver, we all had so much to do that weekend with expecting two sets of company, housecleaning, meal planning, and helping our older children do their taxes, that I asked if I could have a rain check on the date.
And my wonderful husband said, "Of course we can!"
The great thing about it was that six days later, we got to have our date, neither of us had to go so much as a mile out of our way, and we didn't even have to pay for our meal!
I found a gift card that my brother Gabriel and his wife had left with us for Guadalahara Mexican Restaurant which is in Falcon where I had to go late yesterday on an errand.
I called Jonathan to ask about a date, and he was very happy to meet me there! I started to get excited, and I was even more excited after running into the library while waiting for him, and discovering three books by Dr. Laura Schlessinger on the sale shelf for just 50 cents or $1 each!
This one was called, The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, with the first chapter titled, "The Improper Care and Feeding of Husbands."
What a perfect addition to our date at the restaurant, where I didn't have to worry about how my cooking turned out!!!! :) :)
I showed Jonathan the story Laura Schlessinger told about, of a wife who didn't like to cook, and so she fed her husband peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a LOT of the time! 
Needless to say, Dr. Laura was not very impressed with this wife's attitude.
Regardless of how a person feels about Dr. Schlessinger, we all have to admit that she gets some very good points across in very hilarious ways, besides telling true stories about people who call into her radio broadcasts, stories that you would never believe except that they are true.
So there we sat at Guadalahara, munching fresh corn chips dipped in spicy salsas, ordering one combo plate of our favorite Mexican entres for $12 It was so huge we shared it together and had plenty, (leaving enough on the gift card to come back again another time!) and laughing about Schlessinger stories--and taking pictures--because you know Anna. Anna just HAS to have pictures of all sorts of everything to put on her blog. 
Laughing about Schlessinger stories and taking pictures of western horseshoe napkin holders and saltshakers for his wife is much more to Jonathan's liking than coming up with new ways to say old but wonderful things like "I love you," and "It was fun being together tonight."
I could tell my  hubby was very  happy. We laughed about the funny things I'd read in the first chapter of this book while waiting for my hubby, and we paid for the delightful, filling, and delicious meal with a gift card, left a few dollars for a tip, and sneaked a big fat kiss after I got into my van to go home.
And when we got home we discovered that the seven children and one cousin had also had a delicious meal of meatballs, roasted potatoes, and corn and Easter egg candy that Jonathan found the day before at 90% off. We all had a wonderful evening!
And I would recommend this book after reading just one chapter.
I'm taking the others along next week when we fly to Florida on another Mission Helps trip.

3 comments:

  1. Dear sweet, Anna. A couple years ago i commented on your blog about my private, family wedding and you went and looked at my pictures :-) well, I still love keeping up with your blog. I love Hearing about how you purposefully stay in love with your husband it is refreshing to me! It’s worth the extra effort and work to keep our husbands happy, loved and their “love tanks full”!

    I was hoping maybe I might get to see you at IHC, but alas, the Lord did not allow that. I love seeing your trips to help in other countries especially! My husband does subcontracting/construction and I am a professional photographer who has traveled some to foreign countries doing photography. We would love the opportunity to be a help and in fact we left an info card at the mission helps booth. If the Lord opens the door, we would love the opportunity to serve with your team.

    The Lord’s Blessings on You,
    Jonelle Hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jonelle,
      I sent a reply to you but somehow it didn't seem to go through, so am trying again. It was so good to hear from you! Thanks for commenting and for being interested in joining a Mission Helps team sometime. Bro. Byler had actually already mentioned to Jonathan about meeting this young couple at IHC, and I am assuming it was you! Hopefully he will get us your contact information so we can be in touch. Trips to Guatemala, South Dakota and perhaps other places are in the planning stages right now.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your reply! We really did have a fabulous time. I kept saying, "This is just perfect!"

    ReplyDelete

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...