Thursday, August 9, 2018

Cozy Cabin in the Big Texas Woods

I wish I could describe how delightful it was to arrive Sunday evening to this charming little cabin in the Texas woods, not far from where we needed to get the steeple the next morning. Jonathan had reserved it on Saturday after searching for a good deal.
He looked under Air B & B and found this little collection of cabins that had just recently opened up, and this cabin happened to be on at about half price for some reason.
We had attended the Oklahoma City Bible Methodist church Sunday morning with Pastor Darrell and Liz Stetler who have seven children. They have quite a conglomeration of folk in their church--everything from conservative folk to new converts, people with deep emotional needs and ones from Pentecostal background. What a living, vibrant, thriving, colorful church! The pastor and his wife invited us home for dinner, and we enjoyed the simple, pleasant meal, with parents actually paying attention to their kids and expecting them to behave and to not interrupt one another when talking. I always appreciate parents who are committed, involved, and intentional about raising their children.
Jonathan enjoyed seeing the home they had recently purchased and remodeled. I cut up a huge, bright watermelon we'd bought just in case we were invited to dinner by someone. The Stetlers told us that next time we come, they have large guest accomodations, and not to get a hotel!
We drove on a few hours to this cabin then, called "Lazy Squirrel Cabin."
The front porch was screened in, and was a little kitchenette.
At this corner was a table with a basket of little bags of chips and goodies.
In the other corner were dishes and mugs for coffee.
The fridge was delightfully filled with delicious things--juices, soda, water, ice, gatorade, ingredients for Smores, half-n-half.
I don't know how to describe how much these generous and thoughtful touches, "for you" as the proprietor had emailed,
meant to this mama who has to be responsible every day for three meals and snacks and groceries and keeping things stocked and trying not to overspend on unnecessary treats and junk food, and trying to pack food for the trip so we don't have to waste too much on fast food. 
And here, for not a lot more than the simplest hotel room fee, was no end of treats! I was famishing and thirsty, and I just appreciated all these delights! We had purchased a package of sausages and mushrooms the night before, which we sauteed for ourselves as the dusk fell.
I could hardly stop going softly and excitedly through this delightful cabin. It had this one small bedroom behind the screened in porch--
and the first thing Jonathan appreciated was air conditioning! I loved the whiteness and simplicity.
It was rustic and old fashioned,
and luxurious all at the same time! The sink was this glass bowl. I had forgotten my toothbrush, so was tickled to find a platter with all manner of bathroom accessories available.
The cutest shower ever--made with corrugated tin, with ivy at the top, and soft, fluffy robes hanging. We were too beat and hot to enjoy them, so went to bed without white fluffy robes!
The beautiful bed had this pillow on it with small water bottles and chocolate candies.
Also there was this sweet prayer lying there as well for the guests . 
Only the Lord knew how refreshing this all was to me! I couldn't stop admiring and exclaiming and telling Jonathan how much I appreciated it! It was one of the happiest evenings I've ever spent with my dear, sweet hubby! It was like a honeymoon!
Jonathan and I appreciate so much how the Lord provides sweet blessings for us when we are in the middle of trips that are meant to bless and help others. When we live for God and others, God sees to it that we ourselves receive the provisions of grace, joy, and blessing so that we are strengthened for what He has called us to do. 
In the morning, there were maybe a dozen Daddy-long-legs in the sink! One was scurrying across the pillow before we went to bed last night! It's a good thing I'm not scared of Daddy-long-legs!
In the morning, we had a repeat of supper--sausage with mushrooms and jalapenos!
It was so kind of my husband to choose this sweet place for us both to enjoy so much! I left a note of thanks in the guest book!
If you are ever in Texas, this is a place to check out for staying! It was near Tyler, TX, and normally costs $150, but we got it about half price under Air B & B. There are several cabins here, and more in another place, under the name Cora's Cabins.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...