Sunday, October 14, 2018

Pair of Doves Find Shelter by our Home

This afternoon Jonathan was at the bedroom window looking out and this is what he saw.
He came quickly to tell me. 
"It's like you and me!" he whispered in my ear. 
We tried to get pictures through the screen, which left the photos a bit blurry. And we had to move ever so quietly and slowly, because doves will fly away in a second if they are disturbed.
I remembered a poem I had written probably nearly 30 years ago, and went to look for it. Amazingly, I found it in one of my folders of poems. I gave it to Jonathan to read. That poem talked about one dove that I saw as a single, lonely young lady, but this time, we are a couple, and this time there were two doves. It just seemed like God sent those doves just for us with the same message of comfort for us today that I had needed 29 years ago. 
 
 God's  Feathers

I looked out from my window
  One rainy day and dreary,
Feeling that way,
Dreary as the day,
   And woebegone and weary.

My eyes caught sight of an evening bird,
    A mourning dove just sitting
Upon a line,
Feathery and fine,
     With raindrops 'round it hitting.
"Poor wet bird!" thought I, but she
    Seemed not to mind the weather.
All fluffed and fat,
Content she sat,
    All sheltered by her feathers!

"See, child," God said, "I gave this bird
     Feathers to keep her warm.
And if I so care
For birds do I dare
     Leave you alone in life's storm?"
"No, Lord!" said I, "I know You care,
     But in life's stormy weather
I've nowhere to fly,
And cannot stay dry
     Because I do not have feathers!"

"Then come unto Me, My child," said He,
     "My wings shall be your cover.
My feathers will
Keep you safe until
     Life's rain and storm is over!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...