The other day as I was doing some after-Christmas shopping in Hobby Lobby, I noticed this surfboard plaque.
"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf."
Out here on the prairie we don't have oceans, waves, or tides.
This little pond frozen over for skating is the closest we come to surfing!
I took that picture of the surfboard because I thought how appropriate a thought it was.
We can't stop the waves crashing into our lives at high tide, but we can let them drown us--
or we can learn to surf.
Surfing is a skill, and skills take time and effort to learn.
You don't just go surfing one day and go gliding effortlessly over the crests of every wave!

I expect that you would end up upside down a few times!
I am sitting up late tonight as I hear firecrackers booming in the distance--welcoming in the New Year.
None of us knows what this year will hold--and mercifully the Lord keeps the curtain drawn.
We don't know how many or how powerful the waves will be.
But there is a surfboard that we can ride,
and the name on that surfboard is
Promise.
God has so many promises!
Today the children and I decided to try to learn at least one promise in Scripture for each letter of the alphabet this New Year.
By faith in His promises, we can surf the waves that are sure to come!


No comments:
Post a Comment