Monday, December 10, 2018

My Favorite Christmas Decoration This Season

It wasn't hard for me to decide which was my favorite decoration this Christmas season.
It was this little pair of girls' skates that I found while cleaning up the basement about a week ago.
I was about to send the skates to the Goodwill pile or to give to friends with little girls,
 when I thought of using them to decorate the little stand at the end of the hall.
I couldn't decide which looked better--the skates facing each other...
or kind of side by side. 
I ended up deciding side by side was better, but it's okay if you disagree.
You are free to your own opinion. 
The evergreens from our Christmas tree branches that we trimmed off, and the holly and red bird and pine cones completed the cozy little scene,
with lights to add just the right sparkle.
The skates were just something we already had. 
I used the skates just the way they were, except for lacing up the laces, something old and used and ready to be discarded.
But just a touch of imagination and creativity and light
transformed those skates into my very favorite decoration for this Christmas season.
Above is the sled-board snowman that Timmy and I made last year.
Another decoration made with just what we had.
I think of how Christ takes us just as we are--old, weary, weak, ready to be
discarded,
dispatched,
and disregarded.
Christ comes into the picture, picks us up like I picked up that pair of old skates,
and His merciful,
kind,
loving,
and amazing imagination just goes to town.
He thinks, "I wonder what beautiful trophy of grace I can make out of this person?"
And then He cleans us all up from our sins,
fills us, not with holly, but with the Holy Spirit,
and adds that sparkle of joy and light that comes only from His presence.
We can go through our week day resting in the light of His presence.
Studying, teaching and checking lessons, 
doing laundry, vacuuming, sorting Christmas gifts, dealing with vehicle problems,
cooking and shopping and stacking firewood and all the day's duties and delights.
"God with us--" Emmanuel.
It is Emmanuel who adds the flame to our candle wick,
the holly to our empty places,
and the sparkle to our discarded skates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...