Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Chocolate--Our Comfort Food, and Where Do You Find Comfort?

A week or so before Christmas, a package arrived in the mail.
It was a package of chocolates, eight of them heart-shaped, and I've never tasted any so delicious!
Perhaps it was the love behind them that gave them such a good taste!
Here we are all admiring them!
 My girls made a couple relatives a quart or pint of a layered hot cocoa mix at Christmas time, and it looked so good that I told them I hoped they would make a jar of that for me, too! So--they did!
And of course, there were chocolate cookies one day, too. 
I enjoy a little chocolate every once in a while--either chocolate candy, hot chocolate (made with lots of hot goat milk and just a little hot cocoa mix), and chocolate cake or cookies


If I eat too much chocolate, I can't sleep. Once in Ukraine, baby Sammy wouldn't go to sleep for hours one night, and I realized later I had eaten THREE chocolate  No-Bake Cookies, and that was the problem!
I had to learn to take it easy on the chocolate while nursing my babies!

Chocolate is some people's go-to when they get depressed.
Chocolate is a sort of comfort food, like coffee or tea or hot cocoa or chips or candy or pastries.
Just something that tastes good and comforts a person when they're down.
I found a chocolate in God's Word today--a delightful, heart-shaped chocolate.
It said, "Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed. Because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness."
"The Lord is good to those who wait for Him,
to the soul who seeks Him.
It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."
Lamentations 3:22-26
It was such a word of comfort after our collision of yesterday, and the government shutdown, and the nasty Women's March promptly following the beautiful March for Life in Washington, D.C., and all the awful things going on in our world today.
Here are a few related thoughts from the online DesringGod devotional Solid Joys:
Another version of the above verse:
“This I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end.” (Lamentations 3:21–22)
"One of the great enemies of hope is forgetting God’s promises. Reminding is a great ministry. Peter and Paul both said that they wrote letters for this reason (2 Peter 1:13; Romans 15:15).
The main Helper in reminding us what we need to know is the Holy Spirit (John 14:26). But that doesn’t mean you should be passive. You are responsible only for your own ministry of reminding. And the first one in need of reminding by you is you.
The mind has this great power: It can talk to itself by way of reminder. The mind can 'call to mind,' as the text says: 'But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases'(Lamentations 3:21–22).
If we don’t 'call to mind' what God has said... we languish...Don’t wallow in the mire of godless messages in your own head. Messages like: “I can’t . . .” “She won’t . . .” “They never . . .” “It has never worked . . .”
"The point is not that these are true or false. Your mind will always find a way to make them true, unless you 'call to mind' something greater. God is the God of the impossible. Reasoning your way out of an impossible situation is not as effective as reminding yourself that God does impossible things."
Those were comforting and inspiring thoughts.
When we find ourselves feeling down, go ahead and take a chocolate out of the cupboard if you'ld like.
But better yet, open your Bible and look for a heart-shaped promise chock full of comfort!

1 comment:

Sam and Caitlyn in Africa

With their permission, I am delighted to share a few pictures of Sam and Caitlyn's trip to Africa. Caitlyn's older sister has lived ...