Yesterday our family attended the funeral service for our friend Alvin Gafford.
Friends and relatives filled most of the center pews at Faith Covenant Bible Chapel.
His grandson Marlin's wife and three of her six children provided beautiful music.
Bro. Marvin Mosley, Bro. Gafford's and our former pastor, had flown in from PA. We were happy to get to see him and talk to him a while at the viewing the night before. He read the obituary, excellently written by Ellen Gafford, a granddaughter. There were many interesting details given, including about the Monument Creek Flood that Bro. Alvin waded out of with his mother and sister many years ago when he was young.
Our family picnics near this creek every once in a while, where concrete walls have been built to prevent such a flood again.
Bro. Mosley also shared a few brief thoughts about Bro. Gafford:
1. His Stature was Slight
2. His Nature was Quiet
3. His Posture was Right
4. His Future was Bright
Bro. Ralph Gault read various memories including ones by former pastors Bro. Hunt and Goodwin, Bro. Lowell McVey shared favorite Scriptures, and Bro. Steve Kearney officiated and shared a gospel message. Kearneys and a men's quartet sang. Bro. Lloyd Bley offered the closing prayer.
Katherine shared memories of her father's last days and the Lord's faithfulness. I thought she looked extra beautiful that day. She didn't dress in black for mourning, but in beautiful pink.
After all, her father was not pining in bed anymore but was probably walking among the roses and lilies in heaven's garden!
I wished I could have gone to the burial, but because of vehicle issues (our van was finally determined to be totalled by the insurance company yesterday, so the van needs a proper burial too!) I had to go with whoever I could get a ride with--which happened to be Crystal who wanted to shop a bit before going home.
Randy and Joy Albertson's family, relatives who had come in for the funeral, stayed at our place overnight.
When they were not out being pulled around on the sled or riding the horse,
the children would gather around and Rose would read to them.
Curious George stories, no less!
It was a delight to have them.
At the funeral, a lot of wonderful things were said about Bro. Gafford--his playing the saw, his testimony, his 40 years of work as a glass cutter, his submission to God's will about marriage, his quietness, his gentle strength, his saintliness.
I wonder if he shook his head and smiled from up there in heaven somewhere.
I think of some of the last words of another friend and fellow missionary we lost about 21 years ago--Bro. John Durfee, dying of lung cancer. He said, "The blood of Christ is all my plea."
Neither Bro. Durfee, who had been a missionary for years of his life plus a church conference president, nor Bro. Alvin Gafford, who had been a quiet, humble lay person, a well-respected saint for many, many years,
could trust in his own merits to enter heaven.
I had to remind myself that
no list of attainments or good works or flowery tributes will make any difference.
It's only through Christ's blood that any of us will make it to heaven.
On the Sunday after New Years, we were introduced to a new song that I just loved.
I believe Bro. Gafford would love to sing it up there in heaven with his good baritone voice,
and maybe playing it with his saw upon his knee.
I believe it is sung to the tune of "In Christ Alone."
Not in Me
No list of sins I have not done,
No list of virtues I pursue,
No list of those I am not like
Can earn myself a place with You.
O God, be merciful to me–
I am a sinner through and through!
My only hope of righteousness
Is not in me, but only You.
No humble dress, no fervent prayer,
No lifted hands, no tearful song,
No recitation of the truth
Can justify a single wrong.
My righteousness is Jesus’ life,
My debt was paid by Jesus’ death,
My weary load was borne by Him
And He alone can give me rest.
No separation from the world,
No work I do, no gift I give
Can cleanse my conscience, cleanse my hands;
I cannot cause my soul to live.
But Jesus died and rose again–
The power of death is overthrown!
My God is merciful to me
And merciful in Christ alone.
My righteousness is Jesus’ life,
My debt was paid by Jesus’ death,
My weary load was borne by Him
And He alone can give me rest.
by Eric Schumacher & David L. Ward
After all the flowers have been given,
the tributes paid,
the sermons preached and poems read and songs sung,
In the end, when it comes right down to it,
Christ alone can forgive our sins.
Christ alone can pay our debt.
Christ alone is our righteousness.
And Christ alone can give us rest.
Thanks you so much for sharing your hospitality with Randy, Joy and kids! It was a great blessing to them. Thanks for your loyal friendship to Uncle Alvin and Katherine for many years. Thanks for sharing this blog post! - Rowen Albertson
ReplyDeleteWe were glad to help out! I know what it is like to have a bunch of little kids. My older children are such a help so it's not too heavy a load for me.
ReplyDelete