I had to take a picture of them at our Walmart--empty shelves that used to contain toilet paper.
I was glad I had gotten several packages last week, .
We might have to ration them, though!
With a family our size, how long will these last?
Today Danny cleaned under his bed, finding dozens of old socks. He matched some of them, and Jonathan looked for any that might accidentally belong to him, and the big, holey ones Hannah and I cut into rags, several "squares" per sock.
Just in case.
I got that idea a long time ago from somewhere online where it talked about managing without our usual commodities. It suggested keeping on or near the toilet a carton for small rags (cut from old socks, washcloths cut in quarters, or old flannel sheets or shirts or whatever) with which to pat dry, then also a covered bucket or carton to contain the used squares of rags. For rags used for more than patting dry, obviously immediate rinsing and scrubbing will be necessary by the person using it. Launder with the rest of the underwear, etc. with a splash of bleach, and reuse.
My kids were a little grossed out when I told them about this suggestion, as typical American kids are, saying, "Let's use up our TP first!"They are quite sure there will be more at the store by the time we run out!
With a family our size, how long will these last?
Today Danny cleaned under his bed, finding dozens of old socks. He matched some of them, and Jonathan looked for any that might accidentally belong to him, and the big, holey ones Hannah and I cut into rags, several "squares" per sock.
Just in case.
I got that idea a long time ago from somewhere online where it talked about managing without our usual commodities. It suggested keeping on or near the toilet a carton for small rags (cut from old socks, washcloths cut in quarters, or old flannel sheets or shirts or whatever) with which to pat dry, then also a covered bucket or carton to contain the used squares of rags. For rags used for more than patting dry, obviously immediate rinsing and scrubbing will be necessary by the person using it. Launder with the rest of the underwear, etc. with a splash of bleach, and reuse.
My kids were a little grossed out when I told them about this suggestion, as typical American kids are, saying, "Let's use up our TP first!"They are quite sure there will be more at the store by the time we run out!
I told them about Ukraine, where people had no toilet paper at all when I arrived in 1993.
The people washed with a little water from the back of the toilet when necessary, the lady with whom I lived explained when I asked in consternation.
There were no diapers either. Babies got potty-trained within months, I guess.
Just sayin'.
You can do without.
Last week I texted our friends whom we've tried to help with firewood each year, and came to find out they only had enough wood left for four days.
With the uncertainty about closures and all due to c o r o n a virus, I decided to get Timmy out that very day to help me with getting some of our firewood ready to share.
The boys and Jonathan had just taken down two more trees at a job in town, and so we had some extra wood.
I can't describe the joy it gives to bless someone else. Our friends were gone when we arrived to stack it along their fence, but I think they have enough for the rest of the winter now. I did not want to wait around because a winter storm was coming in, and I didn't know what was going to happen.
God had provided extra for us out of His abundance, and now we could share!
I also left a few groceries that I'd gotten on sale or clearance, and I'm only mentioning that to go on to say that God gives back one hundred fold--literally!
The same day I placed a couple bags of groceries on the doorstep of our struggling, elderly friends,
God worked it out that Jonathan was able to get an outdated payment check re-written to us that had been for payment of his work way too long ago and gotten misplaced.
God worked it out that Jonathan was able to get an outdated payment check re-written to us that had been for payment of his work way too long ago and gotten misplaced.
The story is too long to tell, but that was such a HUGE blessing!
You can't outgive God!
His shelves are full and overflowing and abundant,
and they never, never run out!







No comments:
Post a Comment