Friday, September 25, 2020

Yardsale Jackpot

A couple weeks ago I was meandering through a thrift shop when I saw something that I thought would be nice to decorate with if one of my daughters was having a wedding reception. I don't even remember what the item was, but I went on, as the thought came to the front of my brain that my daughters are never going to get married, with vague reasons lurking in the back of my mind. I was just suddenly very sad, and just like that, my eye fell on this little ceramic bird sitting on the shelf end.
Did I take a second look or what?
There it was, plain as a meadowlark sitting on a fence post. 
"God provides."
He would have to, I knew. I can't find spouses for my children. If Jonathan or I suggest someone to one of our children, let's just say that our lovely attempts at suggesting some lovely someone does not usually go over very well. We try to be loving and caring and helpful parents, but apparently, it is not the right time yet. 
However, I bought the bird, just to remind myself. 
And then on the way home, I stopped at a yard sale and hit the jackpot on all sorts of things like this pretty lamp for the top of our piano for just $3.
                                           And this pretty autumn display inside a pumpkin for just $3 more.

And this box of little glass globes filled with pretty pebbles and candles--from the sellers' daughter's wedding reception. They were about 50 cents each, if not 25 cents, I can't remember for sure.  

                  "What if the world and future goes to pieces before my girls get married?" I couldn't help wondering. "But what if it doesn't?" So I spent a little money on some things just for hope's sake.

                             Because I had just been reminded that God does provide. He really does.

I also purchased the autumn leaf rings at 25 cents each, and four globes at 50 cents each with sunflowers in them at 25 cents each, to decorate my house. Here are some possible themes that would work with the pebble globes--western, spring, autumn.
I felt as if the Lord wanted me to live in hope rather than in despair, in joy rather than in darkness. If God chooses to be our girls' only Bridegroom, that is fine. He is the best! But since we don't know what the future holds, we choose to trust, hope and rejoice!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In the Morning--I Will Look Up! and Mike's Testimony

 I can't stop being grateful for these warm, sunny South Dakota mornings.  A couple mornings ago, I woke with the verse of a Psalm (KJV)...